Question Is it possible that my router (Linksys Velop) is causing my modem to reboot?

vanquished

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi Everyone,

For the last 3+ months I've been having intermittent internet issues where the modem has been rebooting itself randomly. I've had 5 different modems and the Spectrum tech has been out 7 times. They've tested all the signals during normal operation and all are nominal. The last tech supposedly witnessed a connection drop at the tap that he said might have caused the modem to reboot but he had "maintenance" come out to inspect the tap as well (supposedly). I had a device watch on the account and the only thing customer service could tell me was that they saw a lot of lease renew timeouts and T3 timeouts. I told that to the tech but it apparently didn't matter to him. The modem I'm currently using is the Arris TG1682G, they've tried 4 of these and 1 of a smaller modem but the problem persists regardless. I also have home phone (req'd for my security system) so that limits my options as far as modems go.

What I want to know is: is there is any chance that my router is causing the modem to reboot?

My setup is as follows:

Modem>Velop>Switch>3 seperate Velop nodes

It worked fine for the first 3 months (brand new construction) but for the last 3 months or so I've been having this issue. Usually the modem goes down, reboots itself and the connection resumes but yesterday and today the modem has gone down and I've had to manually unplug it to get everything to come back (despite spectrum saying they can see the modem online) > this is what happened when I had the smaller modem for a period.

Spectrum claims that my neighbors don't have this issue but unless you're gaming (stereotyping based on age, they don't game) you might not even notice it (though it does happen during regular internet browsing, usually when I'm on my phone). They also all have the generic spectrum modem/wifi combos using Spectrum's wifi.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone with this, I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
What about the electrical power supply path serving the modem: i.e. electrical circuit, wall outlet, any outlet extension bars/surge protectors?

Being "new construction" I would consider (and even deem it likely) that there is a loose connection somewhere either disrupting or shorting the electrical power to the modem.

May not even cause a total power loss, just enough of a dip and threshold value for the modem to quit.....

Has anyone looked at or tested the electrical system?

vanquished

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Appreciate the suggestion. I've moved it to different outlets and surge protectors. When the problem originated it was actually connected to a battery backup. So I think electrical can be ruled out. Nothing else goes down when the modem does either.

TRENDING THREADS