Question Is it possible that my Wi-Fi USB adapter is interfering with other wireless devices?

GalaxyMinion

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
So, I've been having this problem for a while and was wondering if there was any link between the two. Every time that I've plugged in another USB receiver for, let's say, my wireless headphones, the internet quality decreases by a LOT (it sometimes just straight up DC's). This is a problem because I cannot use my WMR headset controllers (or anything different that's wireless) and using my internet at the same time. Is there a problem in the Wi-Fi USB adapter itself or should I consider getting a wired internet? I've had this one for a while. The USB Wi-Fi adapter is called TP-Link TL-WN722N. Will provide more info on anything that's needed.

GalaxyMinion

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
The issue is more likely that you are drawing too much power via your USB ports. Are you connecting to front panel (attached to front of case) or back panel (connected to motherboard) USB ports for these devices?
My USB Wi-Fi adapter is connected to the front panel and I usually connect my wireless devices to the front as well. Do you think it's better to have it at the back?

it's possible, these all operate in the 2.4Ghz band.
so having them in proximity to each other definitely can hurt - which is why some USB adapters have extenders.

Check the available bands and maybe select something less utilised

So, I've been having this problem for a while and was wondering if there was any link between the two. Every time that I've plugged in another USB receiver for, let's say, my wireless headphones, the internet quality decreases by a LOT (it sometimes just straight up DC's). This is a problem because I cannot use my WMR headset controllers (or anything different that's wireless) and using my internet at the same time. Is there a problem in the Wi-Fi USB adapter itself or should I consider getting a wired internet? I've had this one for a while. The USB Wi-Fi adapter is called TP-Link TL-WN722N. Will provide more info on anything that's needed.

GalaxyMinion

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
it's possible, these all operate in the 2.4Ghz band.
so having them in proximity to each other definitely can hurt - which is why some USB adapters have extenders.

Check the available bands and maybe select something less utilised
Good take on it. I have an extender for my Wi-Fi adapter, because it does horribly if I just plug it in like that. I'll see if the changing from front panel to back panel makes the problem go away, and if that fails, I'll look into that. Thanks!