[SOLVED] Is it possible to bridge to modems together wirelessly without ethernet cable

Amatex

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Hello everyone,

So I have a Fritz Box 7490 as my main router and I have a spare TP-LINK N600 (Model No. TD-W8980) Modem/Router lying around.

I'm kind of wondering if there is any way for me to bridge them together wirelessly to extend my WIFI without an ethernet cable ?

If yes, can anyone walk me through the process?

The reason for this is I would like to boost my WIFI connecting in the house that is far away from the main Fritzbox and I thought this might be a good use for old equipment rather then spending money on Range Extenders Etc.

Regards, Amatex

Last edited:
Solution
It either has the range extender/repeater function of it does not. You could check newer firmware to see if it has the feature. The only other option is maybe dd-wrt or other third party firmware can be loaded on that router.
It is more common on more modern routers to be able to run as a repeater, the older stuff not so much.

Be aware repeaters you are trading wifi coverage for performance. It also takes careful placement, you do not just put them in the remote room that has poor wifi signal.
It either has the range extender/repeater function of it does not. You could check newer firmware to see if it has the feature. The only other option is maybe dd-wrt or other third party firmware can be loaded on that router.
It is more common on more modern routers to be able to run as a repeater, the older stuff not so much.

Be aware repeaters you are trading wifi coverage for performance. It also takes careful placement, you do not just put them in the remote room that has poor wifi signal.

Solution