[SOLVED] Is it possible to install NVME drive in PCI-E X1 slot?

USAFRet

Titan
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H310M-PRO-VDH-PLUS/Specification
----------------
  • 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot
  • 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
----------------

You could probably put it in one of the other 2 slots, and get it to run. (Not boot up, just run as a secondary drive)
And lose ALL the theoretical speed benefit of an NVMe.

You can't always shoehorn new technology into old parts.

Just add a SATA III SSD if you are so inclined.

Solution
NVME is a modern drive protocol.
It applies to sata ssd devices as well as the m.2 pcie ssd that you are considering.
The value of any ssd is in the low latency compared to a HDD.
In that respect pcie and sata are quite similar in performance.
The advantage of a pcie connection is the faster sequential performance it allows. Connecting to a X1 slot will cut that performance by 4x making it essentially no different from using a good sata ssd.

This is a long winded explanation of why using a good sata ssd like a samsung 860 evo will be the right thing to do.

Reactions: yaniv382

USAFRet

Titan
Even in a properly configured system with relevant ports, etc....in average use, there isn't as much difference between solid state devices as the big benchmark numbers would have you believe.

As mentioned above, the benefit of the SSD (of any type) is the near zero access time.
In typical use? Blink, and you'll miss the difference.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

Reactions: yaniv382

yaniv382

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
I actually planned to get a samsung evo and just wanted to check if there are better options
since you guys say im limited on options and the difference is not so critical anyway i will go for a sata ssd, thanks all of you for the detailed explenations i appreciate it

With a samsung ssd of suitable size, moving from a hard drive with windows is very easy using the samsung ssd migration app.
You can download the app and instructions here:

You will be amazed at the difference a ssd, any ssd , makes.

Reactions: AARRGGHHH