Question Is it possible to replace my HP Prodesk 400 G5 mt power supply with a standard atx supply?

Jun 25, 2023
Hi,
My HP Prodesk pc suddenly turns off when I play video games or sometimes when under heavy load. I am certain it's the power supply that causes the problem. I tried removing the supply and jump-starting the green and black wire(from the 3rd connector), it turned on, but there was some weird noise coming from the transformer. The HP power supply has 3 connectors, 2 (4 pins) connectors, one is for the CPU and the other is for the Hard drives. And for the third connector, there is this grey wire that outputs only 9.97V.

-3rd connector
-The transformer with a weird noise

-Was the grey wire originally 10V?
-Can I safely replace it with an ATX power supply?

Thanks in advance for the answers:)

Jun 25, 2023
Nope, because it's proprietary. The motherboard and case are proprietary too that cannot fit ATX specified parts. If you want to use an ATX PSU you have to replace the case and motherboard too.
Update: It did work somehow. I figure out how this weird Stock power supply works. In the standard ATX supply, only the +5VSB is present in the motherboard(ATX) thus lighting the led indicator, however in the HP system, if plugged in(Not in the ON state) the supply already provides 12V to the motherboard. I don't know why but even the fan of the power supply is not rotating. So I short the Green and Black wire of the 24pin atx, so that when I plug the system it will provide 12V to the motherboard even if it's not turned ON.
The system works fine now but I am worried if any issues will occur.
thank you btw..

Reactions: AntonyLovric

TRENDING THREADS