[SOLVED] Is it possible to run GTX 970 without power cables ?

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
I have a new build that I want to power up but do not have the PCI-E power cables. It has a MSI GTX 970 with 1x6-pin and 1x6+2-pin. I just received Rosewill's third attempt to send the correct cables and again they are keyed wrong and won't plug into the power supply. I am not looking at running any games I just want to have video for web browsing and email. I don't want to phuck anything up but it's been sitting here for a month and who knows how much longer it will be. Will it run off of just the 75W from pcie 16x slot as a non-gaming graphics card ?

Solution
Simple answer, no! You need make sure you have the right cables for the PSU since not all PSU's have the same pinout and that the discrete GPU's power connectors are all populated. Unfortunately like a motherboard's EPS connectors, you can't have them unpopulated or half populated.

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer, no! You need make sure you have the right cables for the PSU since not all PSU's have the same pinout and that the discrete GPU's power connectors are all populated. Unfortunately like a motherboard's EPS connectors, you can't have them unpopulated or half populated.

Solution

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Yeah, I have been sitting and waiting for a month because I am making sure I have correct cable. Thanks for the answer, guess I may grab cheapest one Best Buy has for temp power and return it in two weeks.