[SOLVED] Is it possible to use a SATA SSD hard drive with an ATAPi cable?

Apr 4, 2022
I have a laptop, and I wanted to upgrade it with an SSD in addition to the traditional one I have by replacing the optical drive with an SSD, but I discovered that the cable used with the optical drive is called "ATAPI"
Now, I have two questions
Is it possible to install "SSD" instead of the optical drive?
And if so, will the hard drive work at full speed?

Solution
never thought of doing it but a search turned up a few things like this

seems like it is possible but i have ZERO idea if these things work or not.

i also recall back when sata first appeared it was not unusual to have an adapter on a drive converting it to sata or ide as needed. so it was done on laptops before so should be doable now as well. i may even have such a thing sitting in a box somewhere if i wanted to get dusty digging it out. lol
Apr 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please provide the make and model of your laptop? An SKU to said mobile computing device would help us two fold.
Thank you for caring
INPUT: 19.5Vdc sa 3.33A RMN. TPN-Q172 Contains Realtek Radio Model: RTL8723BE European Regulatory Address: HP, HQ-TRE, 71025 Boeblingen, Germany Made in China S/N# 5CD71555NC Warranty 1ylyOy Model 15-au104nx www.hp.com HP Pavilion Notebook PC

I discovered that the cable used with the optical drive is called "ATAPI"
Can you show photos of those cables?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Generally - you need optical drive replacement caddy compatible with your laptop.

BD2ND0029.jpg

http://www.2ndhddcaddy.com/hp-pavilion-15-au104tx-2nd-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.html

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
never thought of doing it but a search turned up a few things like this

seems like it is possible but i have ZERO idea if these things work or not.

i also recall back when sata first appeared it was not unusual to have an adapter on a drive converting it to sata or ide as needed. so it was done on laptops before so should be doable now as well. i may even have such a thing sitting in a box somewhere if i wanted to get dusty digging it out. lol

Solution
ATAPI is a protocol (not a physical interconnect).

What is ATAPI?

Advanced Technology Attachment Packet Interface (ATAPI) is a protocol that allows a greater variety of devices to be connected to a computer than ATA (PATA / IDE and SATA) on its own would allow. ATAPI allows IDE and SATA controllers to support optical drives. ATA on its own doesn't allow for specific functions required by optical drives, such as a "media eject" command or a way for the controller to determine whether media is present in the optical drive. Optical drives include CD-ROM drives, DVD-ROM drives, and Blu-ray players.

https://www.startech.com/en-eu/faq/hard-drives-general-controllers-what-is-atapi