[SOLVED] Is it possible to use dell's motherboard in normal system?

Jan 3, 2020
Hello, Question might be stupid but still i just wanted to know.

1.Is it fine to use dell's motherboard in normal pc build?

2. Thats the situation here i have i5-3470 and gtx 580 and i wanted to know if it will work fine with my Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF .i have tested this mobo on my old psu(old but still works great) and it didn't work tested with old gt 9400 graphics card not with Gtx 580. it didnt give signal to my monitor. so i thought it was because of this old power supply it didnt have enough wattage or something. In couple of days i am getting a new power supply so i was thinking if i had to replace motherboard too.

Solution
Basically, it could work in a standard atx case, but with a 50w pci-e limit and non-standard front panel connections, I wouldn't recommend it.

Since you don't boot, even with on-board graphics, try using only one stick of ram in different slots.

If you're still eager to use inexpensive dell motherboards, try and find MT versions, they are standard m-atx with no gpu power limit, still will need the original front panel or modified wiring though.
Are you using the 7010 board independent of it's original chassis or is it in it's original case with all the power buttons connected?

The 7010 uses proprietary dell power connectors for buttons and leds, unless you have an original front panel or have wired a normal power button to it's appropriate pins, it wont start. At least it shouldn't.

The gt 9400 should have worked being a 50w card and the 7010 having a 50w pci-e limit. The 7010 sff should have onboard graphics, have you tested without a gpu?

Jan 3, 2020
Are you using the 7010 board independent of it's original chassis or is it in it's original case with all the power buttons connected? i am using it on completly different case.

The 7010 uses proprietary dell power connectors for buttons and leds, unless you have an original front panel or have wired a normal power button to it's appropriate pins, it wont start. At least it shouldn't. The problem is it starts fans spin but doesnt give any signal to my monitor.

The gt 9400 should have worked being a 50w card and the 7010 having a 50w pci-e limit. The 7010 sff should have onboard graphics, have you tested without a gpu? yes i did

Basically, it could work in a standard atx case, but with a 50w pci-e limit and non-standard front panel connections, I wouldn't recommend it.

Since you don't boot, even with on-board graphics, try using only one stick of ram in different slots.

If you're still eager to use inexpensive dell motherboards, try and find MT versions, they are standard m-atx with no gpu power limit, still will need the original front panel or modified wiring though.

Solution