Is it really true that Newegg sometimes sell products used by other customers as new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, some components such as RAM and PSU that I want are only available via 3rd party sellers in Amazon. Newegg has components sold and ship by Newegg. However, on the internet, I read some posts from customers that Newegg sometimes ship components used by other customers as if they were new. In this case, which site should I buy the components? Do I have to worry? How do I know if the RAM have been used or opened by other customers?

Solution
It's returned merchandise. Technically it's used, and many times it's used and found defective in some way or just not wanted by the original buyer. On RMA, many times there's an incorrect reason for return and ob had put the item back in the package without any destruction, even using all the original packaging. I've seen this done to psus when someone couldn't find 1 cable, they buy a psu, steal the cable, return the item as unwanted/unused and it gets stuck back on the shelf, the returns staff having no clue there's a cable missing since the paperwork says its all there. The next buyer pretty soon discovers the missing cable, and complains, but cannot prove the cable was missing, newegg can only take their word for it. Sometimes, ppl...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
How can you tell? It wouldn't be sealed in it's original packaging, beyond that you likely couldn't. I highly doubt newegg is doing that, I have bought tons of parts from that site with no issue. Where did you hear this?

I think they may sell used parts and call them refurbished because they cleaned the dust off of it. But I believe a lot of company's do that.

Reactions: Benjamin22044

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They have open box and refurbished listings. Tells me they are upfront about it. I assume everything else you buy directly from them is going to be a new product.

The Newegg marketplace is another matter entirely, and you get whatever the seller sends you...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's returned merchandise. Technically it's used, and many times it's used and found defective in some way or just not wanted by the original buyer. On RMA, many times there's an incorrect reason for return and ob had put the item back in the package without any destruction, even using all the original packaging. I've seen this done to psus when someone couldn't find 1 cable, they buy a psu, steal the cable, return the item as unwanted/unused and it gets stuck back on the shelf, the returns staff having no clue there's a cable missing since the paperwork says its all there. The next buyer pretty soon discovers the missing cable, and complains, but cannot prove the cable was missing, newegg can only take their word for it. Sometimes, ppl deliberately lie about the missing cable, because they needed one, couldn't find one online, didn't want to pay for one so cheat newegg out of a cable by complaining one was missing so the psu is obviously used.

Newegg can't prove they didn't sell a used item, complainers can't prove they aren't trying to scam newegg. Take stuff with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Benjamin22044
Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. Unfortunately this world is getting more and more complicated. I miss the days when we could talk in any Futureshop and they had all the latest items in stock, if not they would special order. These days, buying components is like going to war. Some items are gone quickly since those miners buy in large quantities. Things should get cheaper over time but the prices keep increasing.

Apr 27, 2018
Actually, their motherboard come unsealed. So motherboards could be previously used... so could ram and hard drives now that I think of it. Those aren't sealed either.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram is supposed to be sealed in a blister pack, mobo boxes should have at minimum a tamper sticker seal, but are usually shrink wrapped. It also depends on if it's newegg business or Newegg marketplace etc.

Apr 27, 2018
That's weird. Ram and SSDs come in blister packs but are never sealed in my experience. Motherboards are NEVER sealed at all in my experience. They never even had a safety seal or plastic wrap on them. They just have that electromag bag on them every time I have gotten them. And I always buy new and not from the marketplace. Newegg said they send them that way on purpose.

Maybe newegg really is screwing us?

Apr 27, 2018
I am in a chat with newegg now and they just keep repeating that "we do not require manufacturers to seal their boxes... blah blah blah...."

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed, only products I typically see sealed are GPUs, and just with the little stickers. Not sure I've seen a full shrink wrap, might be something they do at retail locations for refurbs?. Memory and SSDs are only in blister packs so they can be hung up. Not usually something they keep on the floor either, too easy to pocket. Some retailers might opt to staple them, or possibly seal them if they do keep them within arms reach of people. That way anti-theft devices can't be circumvented by removing the hardware from the package.

Maybe a long time ago motherboards came sealed as well, but back then I tended to shop in person. The sales person would open the box and show that the contents were all present.

Pretty much everything I have bought recently came via Newegg and Amazon, unsealed.

Aug 17, 2020
I can prove Newegg sells used items as new, here’s an order that they forgot to remove the tracking info the previous buyer put inside the box!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that items sold by NewEgg (NOT third-party sellers) are knowingly sold as new when they're open-box returns.

I do remember when I worked in retail in the late 80s, some of the elaborate/creative ways people would try to return items claiming that they were unopened/unused. We usually caught them, but on occasion, a particularly skilled scammer would slip one by us.

If this is a problem, it's no more likely to be a problem with NewEgg than any other retailer.

I've been buying from them since at least as far back as 2005, never an issue. I have never bought from a 3rd party seller, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.