[SOLVED] Is it required to buy a cpu cooler to replace the stock cooler for gaming ?

May 27, 2021
Hey Guys,

I am new here, I am building my pc and I went to several guides this week, most of them suggest using the stock cooler which I receive with my Intel i9-9900k processor. But some YouTubers suggest that we shouldn't use any kind of stock CPU cooler if we are making it for gaming only.

I am a bit confused right now, here this guide that I was following while assembling the parts suggests using stock for gaming also, many people way it would work fine.

So hope you got my concern that should I buy a CPU cooler or not, if yes, then suggest a best for Intel. I got 3080 for gaming if this helps.

Solution
You only need 3rdparty cooler if your room temperature is really high and you don't have A/C, or you OC your CPU.

In a room with A/C on or well ventilated, the stock cooler is perfectly fine for gaming.
Intel hasn't included any heatsink with K SKUs for many generations, there is no such thing as a "stock" HSF for the 9900k, none is included and none clearly isn't an option no even if you live in an igloo at the geographic South pole.

For most of the rest of Intel's lineup, you will probably need an aftermarket HSF if you want the CPU to sustain its boost clocks longer before hitting thermal limits or just keep it at a cozy 70C or so under load. I played around with an Intel HSF on my 11400 for a little bit, was hitting 80C in...
I would try it with the stock cooler and check the temps and if they looked good I'd run with it.

If not...I'd upgrade it.

It's difficult to determine whether or not to go by what people "suggest" as there are all sorts of different variables....like case size....case fans.....ambient temp....etc.

Reactions: ellis78
May 27, 2021
I would try it with the stock cooler and check the temps and if they looked good I'd run with it.

If not...I'd upgrade it.

It's difficult to determine whether or not to go by what people "suggest" as there are all sorts of different variables....like case size....case fans.....ambient temp....etc.
Hey, how much temp would be fine? which will not affect my parts. I will try this.

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Hey Guys,

I am new here, I am building my pc and I went to several guides this week, most of them suggest using the stock cooler which I receive with my Intel i9-9900k processor. But some YouTubers suggest that we shouldn't use any kind of stock CPU cooler if we are making it for gaming only.

I am a bit confused right now, here this guide that I was following while assembling the parts suggests using stock for gaming also, many people way it would work fine.

So hope you got my concern that should I buy a CPU cooler or not, if yes, then suggest a best for Intel. I got 3080 for gaming if this helps.
I have a processor i9 9900k box version and I can say that it does not have a boxed cooler in the package. I use it with Noctua NH-D15 cooler, Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste and I don't think about changing it to liquid cooling. The processor is overclocked, the BIOS has three profiles: 5.0GHz with Hyper-threading, core voltage 1.32; 4.9GHz with Hyper-threading 1.28 core voltage; 5.0GHz without Hyper-threading, 1.3 core voltage. The OCCT stress test runs smoothly. In the stress test of Prime95, the processor is overclocked to 5.0GHz with Hyper-threading enabled, the performance of the cooler is no longer enough. When overclocking 4.9GHz with HT and 5.0GHz without HT, the stress test of Prime95 passes without problems, but we must remember that in real tasks a simple user does not experience such loads. And you need to have a case with good airflow.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I have a processor i9 9900k box version and I can say that it does not have a boxed cooler in the package. I use it with Noctua NH-D15 cooler, Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste and I don't think about changing it to liquid cooling. The processor is overclocked, the BIOS has three profiles: 5.0GHz with Hyper-threading, core voltage 1.32; 4.9GHz with Hyper-threading 1.28 core voltage; 5.0GHz without Hyper-threading, 1.3 core voltage. The OCCT stress test runs smoothly. In the stress test of Prime95, the processor is overclocked to 5.0GHz with Hyper-threading enabled, the performance of the cooler is no longer enough. When overclocking 4.9GHz with HT and 5.0GHz without HT, the stress test of Prime95 passes without problems, but we must remember that in real tasks a simple user does not experience such loads. And you need to have a case with good airflow.
Yes that's the point most forget.My cpu goes over 70c with prime 95 but for average uses gaming/unreal engine etc it hardly goes over 40c.I do have an AIO thought.Only thing the cpu would get toasty are with stuff like blender.I didn't notice a lot of strain in unreal engine yet.

InvalidError

Titan
You only need 3rdparty cooler if your room temperature is really high and you don't have A/C, or you OC your CPU.

In a room with A/C on or well ventilated, the stock cooler is perfectly fine for gaming.
Intel hasn't included any heatsink with K SKUs for many generations, there is no such thing as a "stock" HSF for the 9900k, none is included and none clearly isn't an option no even if you live in an igloo at the geographic South pole.

For most of the rest of Intel's lineup, you will probably need an aftermarket HSF if you want the CPU to sustain its boost clocks longer before hitting thermal limits or just keep it at a cozy 70C or so under load. I played around with an Intel HSF on my 11400 for a little bit, was hitting 80C in Cinebench with the stock power limits. Barely hitting 70C with a 212+ and the PL lifted to 120W.

Solution

Intel may have stopped to ship the heat-sink + fan but there are heat-sink + fan called "stock" that come with the i5 or i7, this guy on Youtube has reviewed some

90829346124C026ECC384D48BE8F9A3D.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTOz6wXX9U

InvalidError

Titan
Intel may have stopped to ship the heat-sink + fan but there are heat-sink + fan called "stock" that come with the i5 or i7, this guy on Youtube has reviewed some
And your video states exactly what I have written::
1- Intel does not include an HSF with K SKUs
2- the CPU almost immediately starts thermal throttling when you use the stock HSF, meaning it isn't good enough to push all-cores clocks and something better is needed if you want sustainable clocks

Oct 30, 2021
Hey Guys,

Yes the better the cpu cooling the less likely you have throttling. So do it.

TRENDING THREADS