[SOLVED] Is it safe to change the drive letter of a drive containing user folders ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2019
Hello!

I have Windows 10 on drive C drive and I have a storage drive H with the user folders in it: Contacts, Desktop, Downloads etc.

I was wondering if it's safe to change the drive letter of the storage drive H: to something else without the user folders acting up, or will Windows look for drive H: ?

Solution
Simple answer, nope. You're going to make the OS go belly up or you're going to be seeing a lot of warning messages after you change the drive of an active user's folder. If you need to relocate the users folder, do so after you've changed the drive's letter.

If the active user's folder is on H:, change the location back to C, then change the drive letter for H, then reboot, then change the location for the user's folder, i.e, Right click Users folder you need to move>Properties>Location tab>change location to X(where X can be from H to C and from C to whatever the drive letter is).

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer, nope. You're going to make the OS go belly up or you're going to be seeing a lot of warning messages after you change the drive of an active user's folder. If you need to relocate the users folder, do so after you've changed the drive's letter.

If the active user's folder is on H:, change the location back to C, then change the drive letter for H, then reboot, then change the location for the user's folder, i.e, Right click Users folder you need to move>Properties>Location tab>change location to X(where X can be from H to C and from C to whatever the drive letter is).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Jun 12, 2019

Thank you :) I will do that!

Jun 12, 2019

I just want to verify that I did it what you suggested and it works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.