[SOLVED] Is it safe to keep Ups

satyap

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Hi friends,
Kindly help me out i have purchased a new ups numeric 1000va for my pc. Now the issue is my computer is kept in my bedroom and so i am worried whether it is safe to keep lead acid battery ups which might release fumes. Kindly help me out i am confused as to what should I do now.

Solution
It is completely safe. They are made for this reason... if they weren't safe to keep in the bedroom, they would be getting sued left and right.

Just keep it away from anything flammable and read the instructions. Make sure you dont piggyback extension cords or power strips from the UPS. Don't put it directly on carpet or near windows drapes etc...

I have an AV1000 APC and my PC is on 24/7. I've had it running for over 5 years now without any issues...

P.S.
It is super rare that they leak nowadays. Most of the time the battery will expand and get stuck in the UPS and you wont be able to replace it, you'll have to buy a new UPS altogether. Normally before this even happens you will get a bad battery warning, so just replace the battery...
It is completely safe. They are made for this reason... if they weren't safe to keep in the bedroom, they would be getting sued left and right.

Just keep it away from anything flammable and read the instructions. Make sure you dont piggyback extension cords or power strips from the UPS. Don't put it directly on carpet or near windows drapes etc...

I have an AV1000 APC and my PC is on 24/7. I've had it running for over 5 years now without any issues...

P.S.
It is super rare that they leak nowadays. Most of the time the battery will expand and get stuck in the UPS and you wont be able to replace it, you'll have to buy a new UPS altogether. Normally before this even happens you will get a bad battery warning, so just replace the battery per instructions in the manual (I believe on APC they recommend battery replacement every 4-5 years).

Solution
Sealed lead acid batteries, SLA batteries are made for indoor use and are the most common type used in UPS. Because they are sealed they will not vent gas (like your will sometimes see with car batteries) they don't need ventilation and are less prone to leaking. Therefore they are much safer to use indoors.

As previously stated read the directions and check on the system from time to time to verify it's functioning normally.