Is it safe to overclock an i5 4670 non K?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AuroraHD

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
I've heard non k versions are limited, but is possible. Is 400 MHz really the max the non k versions can go?
I've set my voltages to auto so my bios can decide it. Is this safe to switch it to?
Lastly, there's a minimum and maximum CPU cache. The minimum should be auto, right? And the maximum is my desired clock speed(ex. 4.0) or is it 4000? Do I leave turbo boost on or off?
Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z87
CPU: I5 4670
CPU COOLER: Arctic cooler GT rev 2.0 (upgrading to hyper 212 EVO)
GPU: GTX 760
RAM: 16GB Samsung 1333mhz

Solution

If it doesn't, then go into Windows Advanced Power Options and select "High Performance".

Yogi

Nov 18, 2019
Hi all, Just to clarify things about series K and Non-K .

Every single Chip or CPU can be overclocked. Overall hardware and what is around can give some limitation .

A good motherboard will you to overclock,
A good PSU ; Power Suply ( Keep in mind when overclocking either a Cpu or a Gpu you will double the watts that is required when non-overclocked. All computer is different and have differents variations and tolerange when created.)
Some good Memory Stick ; Most setup required to overclock the memory and bus speed etc. You want memory with variable timing or gaming series as much you can.
Even non-gaming series are overclockable but with more limitations.

A overall good computer and you good to go.

Here is what i can do with a I5 4670 Non-K and a Xeon E5 2690

i5 : Base 3.5GHz Turbo 3.8GHz ---- Overclocked : Base 4028Ghz Turbo 4090GHz
Xeon E5 2690 Base 2.9GHz Turbo 3.8GHz ----Overclocked : 4067GHz

You can make something great with a fraction of what most of people think they need.

https://www.facebook.com/SirLupinWatson My gaming page with picture of the overclock
https://hwbot.org/user/lupain/ Overclock profile on HWbot

Last edited: