Question Is it safe to turn off ASUS anti-surge if the computer is plugged into a surge protector?

Aug 5, 2019
Getting potentially false positives only when I run games and I'm hearing mixed reports about it's reliability. My PC is plugged into a surge catcher, is that enough to save my PC if I turn off anti-surge?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Asus anti-surge is extremely reliable. So much so that it's actually rather touchy, even the slightest bump in output from a lower grade psu can set it off. Which is 99% of any of those complaints about it triggering, they just didnt/can't understand why.

Just in case you wonder why Dark Lord asked about psu.

Can you turn it off? Yep, sure can. Should you turn it off? Ehh that's iffy. If it's not affecting the running of the pc, it's a free extra precaution, preventative, failsafe. If it is affecting the running of the pc, might want to take a serious second to consider exactly why a surge protector is tripping.

What's a surge catcher? One of those $2 strips you get from the Dollar store where the extension wire actually weighs more than the protector itself? Or is it an APC/UPS that cost almost as much as the pc? Or maybe something inbetween? The reliability of many' surge catchers' is often far less than what's available in the psu/mobo.

Gotta understand there's a difference in perspective. Surge catchers are outside the loop. They catch stuff between the wall and the psu. A decent psu with plenty of protections will catch anything between the wall and the pc. Asus catches anything that'll make it through the psu before it hits anything plugged into the mobo. That's 3 layers of protection for the cpu/gpu from surges from the wall. Possibly only 1 layer of protection if the surge is due to the psu, and it'd have to originate with the 20+4 pin, not the eps/pcie as those are direct from the psu.

I don't worry much about surges. If it makes it through the breakers, and is bad enough to blow through the psu and kill the motherboard, replacing parts in the pc will cost far less than replacing the big screen TV, stereo, Playstation, blueray and all the other electronics plugged in around the house.

Last edited: