[SOLVED] Is it safe to use 185W charger brick for Aorus X5 V6 laptop?

prasadkothavale

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hello, so the charger for my laptop Aorus X5 V6 died a couple of days back. The charger that came with it is rated at 19.5V 10.3A around 200W.

So the problem is that I can't seem to find online or in a store a 200W charger with the same connector. I can get one in store which is around 185 watts with the same voltage rating.
On notebookcheck power management test, they found that the avg load power consumption for my laptop is around 168W. But the max load exceeds to 222W(but the system will never require this much in real conditions)

So my question is; can I go for the 185w charger with no repercussions in the long term? Or will the low wattage charger not last long and cause damage to my system?
I have found similar posts online but the percentage difference between the original and the lowered wattage was too high in those cases. Here it's just 7.5%.

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So as far as laptop charges go, it's not a "one size meets all" as I'm sure you are aware.
  • The voltage must match. Sometimes small differences can have bigger impacts on the lifespan of the laptop, for testing purposes,
  • Input voltage is usually a item to look at but nowadays it's hard to go wrong.
  • The amperage (the maximum it can supply) must be the same or MORE than your laptop requires.
  • The polarity is what catches people out, you should make sure the polarity of the new charger matches the laptop, otherwise you risk damage or shortening the lifespan of the laptop/battery.
So you'll want to check the polarity matches too...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

So as far as laptop charges go, it's not a "one size meets all" as I'm sure you are aware.
  • The voltage must match. Sometimes small differences can have bigger impacts on the lifespan of the laptop, for testing purposes,
  • Input voltage is usually a item to look at but nowadays it's hard to go wrong.
  • The amperage (the maximum it can supply) must be the same or MORE than your laptop requires.
  • The polarity is what catches people out, you should make sure the polarity of the new charger matches the laptop, otherwise you risk damage or shortening the lifespan of the laptop/battery.
So you'll want to check the polarity matches too:

adaptor-polarity-600x165.png

So at the crooks of it,
  • Voltage should match, or worst case be as close as possible.
  • Polarity must be the same
  • Amperage must be the same or greater than required.

Solution

prasadkothavale

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

So you'll want to check the polarity matches too:

adaptor-polarity-600x165.png

So at the crooks of it,
  • Voltage should match, or worst case be as close as possible.
  • Polarity must be the same
  • Amperage must be the same or greater than required.

Thank you for your reply, I have a question about the polarity.

While I know that the polarity must be same, most if the online sellers don't put this in the specification. I thought that this might have been standardized over the years and may not be such an issue nowadays. Is this the case? Or, do they still not like the consumers and the polarities may always be different ?

If it is so, why isn't it specified in the product specifications?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
While I know that the polarity must be same, most if the online sellers don't put this in the specification. I thought that this might have been standardized over the years and may not be such an issue nowadays. Is this the case? Or, do they still not like the consumers and the polarities may always be different ?
I know - it's a nightmare right? Shame is for a long time they know people won't check and therefore won't care.

Generally now you'll find it's one way, most standard ones you buy will be + to - so I wouldn't worry too much, but if you do find for whatever reason the charger is the adverse, then don't use it. However it certainly isn't standardised.

prasadkothavale

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I know - it's a nightmare right? Shame is for a long time they know people won't check and therefore won't care.

Generally now you'll find it's one way, most standard ones you buy will be + to - so I wouldn't worry too much, but if you do find for whatever reason the charger is the adverse, then don't use it. However it certainly isn't standardised.

Thanks PC Tailor,
I have ordered one with 200W, I hope polarity is aligned with mine.

Reactions: PC Tailor