[SOLVED] Is it safe to use a Dual 6 Pin (female) to 8 Pin (male) power connector adapter?

MonstaMachiner

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
I have an old Dell T7500 workstation that is still chugging along nicely! I recently got an AMD 6700 XT graphics card to put in it - but ran into an issue: there is only one 8 pin power cable from the PSU, the other cables are 6 pin. The graphics card takes two 8 pin cables. So I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4GGS43/

The PSU on the T7500 is more than powerful enough to handle the 6700 XT's needs, and I imagine it's a well-built PSU since the T7500 was an enterprise grade workstation. However, I've been reading that adapters like the one I ordered can be a fire hazard!! That would be the last thing I'd want - but scrapping/selling the T7500 just for the PSU cables seems like a wasteful thing to do. Would it be safe to just use the adapter?

Solution
Maybe. Depends on the PSU and adapter quality. Technically, 6-pin and 8-pin are fundamentally the same apart from 8-pins having two extra grounds to indicate that the cable and PSU are supposed to have 150+W available on that AUX cable.

The general wisdom is that if your PSU doesn't have sufficient 8-pins cables, it probably shouldn't be used with GPUs that require that much 8-pins power.

InvalidError

Titan
Maybe. Depends on the PSU and adapter quality. Technically, 6-pin and 8-pin are fundamentally the same apart from 8-pins having two extra grounds to indicate that the cable and PSU are supposed to have 150+W available on that AUX cable.

The general wisdom is that if your PSU doesn't have sufficient 8-pins cables, it probably shouldn't be used with GPUs that require that much 8-pins power.

Solution