Question Is it safe to use fan splitter to connect two 120 mm fans

satyap

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Hello friends
I want to know I have Asus prime b350 ma motherboard I want to add two fan in one fan header on the motherboard I am going to use nzxt aer p 120( .32amp)and Corsair 120 mm dc case fan (.38amp) and the fan splitter I am going to use is phankets 4 pin fan splitter. kindly advice is it safe to use two fans in one fan header in my case .
Thanks in advance

I want to add two fan in one fan header on the motherboard I am going to use nzxt aer p 120( .32amp)and Corsair 120 mm dc case fan (.38amp) and the fan splitter
Depends on fan headers on motherboard.
Typically fan headers are 1A. Sometimes 2A.
If there's no additional info in motherboard documentation, then assume 1A.

So for 1A fan header you could connect up to three 0.32A fans (with fan splitter).

Hello friends
I want to know I have Asus prime b350 ma motherboard I want to add two fan in one fan header on the motherboard I am going to use nzxt aer p 120( .32amp)and Corsair 120 mm dc case fan (.38amp) and the fan splitter I am going to use is phankets 4 pin fan splitter. kindly advice is it safe to use two fans in one fan header in my case .
Thanks in advance
Standard fan header power is 1A but two different fans in one header is not best idea because they can't be controlled separately and can confuse controller.
In either case splitter should have only one side with RPM sensor lead disconnected.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
SkyNetRising is correct - the limit is on the total max load in AMPS for all fans connected to one mobo header, and your specs say there is not problem.

However, three questions:

1. The NZXT AER P120 is a 4-pin PWM type of fan. You say the Corsair is a "dc case fan ". Corsair makes LOTS of fans so we need more specifics. I could not find the max amps from the NZXT web page, and the Corsair page for their AF120 LED White fan (one of VERY few they still sell of 3-pin DC type) says its max Amps is 0.30. So where did you get those Amp specs?

2. The most popular fans today (plain RGB or ARGB) that have LIGHTS in their frames have TWO cables for each fan - one ending in a smaller connector for the fan MOTOR with 3 or 4 holes in it, and another with a wider connector that could have 3 or 4 holes. Those fans can do displays with multiple changing colours. Most of these fans pull from 0.10 to 0.25 A max for the MOTOR alone, not numbers over 0.30 you cite. The LIGHTS are powered separately by the second cable fed from a different mobo header, so the Amps used by the lights has NO impact on the load of the MOTOR on its mobo header. A Prior lighted type of fan was called a LED Fan and it has only ONE cable, and its frame contains LED's of only ONE colour that does not change. In that style the LED's are merely connected in parallel with the motor, so their AMPS consumption DOES add to the total load and needs to be included in the calculations. That older type usually draws 0.25 to 0.45 A per fan max. Then, of course, there are lots of fans with NO lights and only one cable, and these consume 0.10 to 0.25 A max typically. SO, which type of fan is EACH of your two?

3. Related to 2 above, you can NOT easily connect both a 4-pin and a 3-pin fan together using a Splitter on one mobo fan header. There MAY be a way to do this if your mobo has the right features and you make the right connections. So again, we need to know which fan types your two are.