Question Is it safe to use RAM that isn't on the Qualified Vendors List?

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite motherboard, and I'm interested in the low latency G.Skill 3600MHz CL14 Ripjaws V (F4-3600C14D-32GVK) or the more expensive version Trident Z (F4-3600C14D-32GTZR). The are both optimised for AMD, but neither are on Gigabytes QVL. They were both released in 2020, and the QVL is from 2022 so they should be on there if they are compatible wirth the mobo, right?

A Trident Z with CL16 is on the list, but it has four RAM sticks, and I would prefer CL14 and two sticks. I want to get two of the same 2x16 set to get 64GB.

They were both released in 2020, and the QVL is from 2022 so they should be on there if they are compatible wirth the mobo, right?
No.

QVLs contain only what has actually been tested. Board manufacturers don't test ALL available RAM in ALL of its variations. Lots of RAM not on the QVL will work....but you don't have certainty about compatibility. You can try to make inferences as you see fit and hope for the best. Try to buy from a source with good return privileges.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
No.

QVLs contain only what has actually been tested. Board manufacturers don't test ALL available RAM in ALL of its variations. Lots of RAM not on the QVL will work....but you don't have certainty about compatibility. You can try to make inferences as you see fit and hope for the best. Try to buy from a source with good return privileges.
That makes sense. I found G.Skill's QVL and there is says that my mobo is supported, so I think I don't have to worry anymore.

Am I right that I can buy two kits of the same model and get 64GB? That shouldn't be like mixing timings or brands.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
You missed the most important word MATCHED . RAM is sold as a matched set for a reason ...
I hope "matched" means, same model with the same components, and not that they test them individually for the slightest sample variatiosn and then carefully put the kits together like some extreme jewlelers.

kanewolf

Titan
I hope "matched" means, same model with the same components, and not that they test them individually for the slightest sample variatiosn and then carefully put the kits together like some extreme jewlelers.
Matched means that the manufacturer tested and warrants all the DIMMs to work at the advertised speeds and to work as a set. If you don't buy a matched set then it is your responsibility to test the entire set. It is not guaranteed to work as a set and it is your responsibility to make it work.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
Do you already have an X3D CPU ? If you believe memory latency is so important, then that is where to put money, IMO.
I have a 5900X. I want good RAM because of the upcoming big life simulator games. (and maybe other games I find interesting). I have 16GB now, G.Skill FlareX 3200 CL14. 32GB is recommended for games like InZOI, but I want some headroom (and be able to keep other applications running at the same time).

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
The mobo manual says "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used." I don't see why I should doubt that that is the case if I buy two kits of RAM from the same batch?