Question Is it safe to use RAM that isn't on the Qualified Vendors List?

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite motherboard, and I'm interested in the low latency G.Skill 3600MHz CL14 Ripjaws V (F4-3600C14D-32GVK) or the more expensive version Trident Z (F4-3600C14D-32GTZR). The are both optimised for AMD, but neither are on Gigabytes QVL. They were both released in 2020, and the QVL is from 2022 so they should be on there if they are compatible wirth the mobo, right?

A Trident Z with CL16 is on the list, but it has four RAM sticks, and I would prefer CL14 and two sticks. I want to get two of the same 2x16 set to get 64GB.

They were both released in 2020, and the QVL is from 2022 so they should be on there if they are compatible wirth the mobo, right?
No.

QVLs contain only what has actually been tested. Board manufacturers don't test ALL available RAM in ALL of its variations. Lots of RAM not on the QVL will work....but you don't have certainty about compatibility. You can try to make inferences as you see fit and hope for the best. Try to buy from a source with good return privileges.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
No.

QVLs contain only what has actually been tested. Board manufacturers don't test ALL available RAM in ALL of its variations. Lots of RAM not on the QVL will work....but you don't have certainty about compatibility. You can try to make inferences as you see fit and hope for the best. Try to buy from a source with good return privileges.
That makes sense. I found G.Skill's QVL and there is says that my mobo is supported, so I think I don't have to worry anymore.

Am I right that I can buy two kits of the same model and get 64GB? That shouldn't be like mixing timings or brands.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
You missed the most important word MATCHED . RAM is sold as a matched set for a reason ...
I hope "matched" means, same model with the same components, and not that they test them individually for the slightest sample variatiosn and then carefully put the kits together like some extreme jewlelers.

kanewolf

Titan
I hope "matched" means, same model with the same components, and not that they test them individually for the slightest sample variatiosn and then carefully put the kits together like some extreme jewlelers.
Matched means that the manufacturer tested and warrants all the DIMMs to work at the advertised speeds and to work as a set. If you don't buy a matched set then it is your responsibility to test the entire set. It is not guaranteed to work as a set and it is your responsibility to make it work.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
Do you already have an X3D CPU ? If you believe memory latency is so important, then that is where to put money, IMO.
I have a 5900X. I want good RAM because of the upcoming big life simulator games. (and maybe other games I find interesting). I have 16GB now, G.Skill FlareX 3200 CL14. 32GB is recommended for games like InZOI, but I want some headroom (and be able to keep other applications running at the same time).

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
The mobo manual says "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used." I don't see why I should doubt that that is the case if I buy two kits of RAM from the same batch?

QVLs are not the end all be all in any way they're simply what has been tested on those boards and should work if your CPU's memory controller is good enough. The older a motherboard is the less likely they'll have updated QVLs covering newer memory kits so personally I check to see if there are similar kits listed speed/latency wise.

Using 4 memory modules is less likely to work at higher speeds/lower latency than 2 modules will, but this is up to the motherboard memory topology and CPU memory controller.
The mobo manual says "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used." I don't see why I should doubt that that is the case if I buy two kits of RAM from the same batch?
Chips is the key word here as DRAM can have multiple vendors of memory IC for the same SKU. You will probably get the same memory IC buying two pairs of the same SKU, but you'll need to make sure when you get them. Buying directly from a memory manufacturer is the only way to guarantee it will be the same chips which means modules from Micron/Crucial, SK Hynix/Klevv, or Samsung.

Reactions: Countess_C

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
QVLs are not the end all be all in any way they're simply what has been tested on those boards and should work if your CPU's memory controller is good enough. The older a motherboard is the less likely they'll have updated QVLs covering newer memory kits so personally I check to see if there are similar kits listed speed/latency wise.

Using 4 memory modules is less likely to work at higher speeds/lower latency than 2 modules will, but this is up to the motherboard memory topology and CPU memory controller.

Chips is the key word here as DRAM can have multiple vendors of memory IC for the same SKU. You will probably get the same memory IC buying two pairs of the same SKU, but you'll need to make sure when you get them. Buying directly from a memory manufacturer is the only way to guarantee it will be the same chips which means modules from Micron/Crucial, SK Hynix/Klevv, or Samsung.
That's good info, thanks. I will think about it, and also check for reviews of other brands (that have 64GB kits). I sometimes take chances, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That's good info, thanks. I will think about it, and also check for reviews of other brands (that have 64GB kits). I sometimes take chances, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Using 4 sticks is probably not going to work you will need to run it at a lower speed most of the time.

If you need 64GB buy a single matched set. 3600 CAS 16 is the fasted listed.

Using 4 sticks only 3200 speed is listed and might need some adjusting depending on how good the memory controller is.

EDIT I also only buy GSkill for my own PC. 64GB of memory is massive for a gaming PC, the one game you said recommended amount is 16GB.

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7 12700, AMD Ryzen 5800
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (8G VRAM), AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 75 GB available space

Last edited:
Reactions: Countess_C

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
Using 4 sticks is probably not going to work you will need to run it at a lower speed most of the time.

If you need 64GB buy a single matched set. 3600 CAS 16 is the fasted listed.

Using 4 sticks only 3200 speed is listed and might need some adjusting depending on how good the memory controller is.

EDIT I also only buy GSkill for my own PC. 64GB of memory is massive for a gaming PC, the one game you said recommended amount is 16GB.

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7 12700, AMD Ryzen 5800
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (8G VRAM), AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 75 GB available space
Thanks! I have looked around but the only 64GB kit I can find in Sweden is a 4x16, so that's four sticks.

the info for inZoi I read is: "RAM: Doubling the minimum requirement, 32 GB of RAM will ensure that your game runs seamlessly and enables extensive multitasking."

https://inzoiresource.com/blogs/22/Minimum-and-Recommended-System-Requirements-for-inZOI

Maybe I minsinterpreted that, and 32GB is more than enough. I think I'll go with a 2x16 32GB 3600 CL14 kit after all. Then maybe upgrade if I really need to, sometime in the far future. How does that sound? :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks! I have looked around but the only 64GB kit I can find in Sweden is a 4x16, so that's four sticks.

the info for inZoi I read is: "RAM: Doubling the minimum requirement, 32 GB of RAM will ensure that your game runs seamlessly and enables extensive multitasking."

https://inzoiresource.com/blogs/22/Minimum-and-Recommended-System-Requirements-for-inZOI

Maybe I minsinterpreted that, and 32GB is more than enough. I think I'll go with a 2x16 32GB 3600 CL14 kit after all. Then maybe upgrade if I really need to, sometime in the far future. How does that sound? :)
I have 32GB and have had 32GB for a long time going back to the 4790K days when I actually used some work programs.
I've never seen more than about 24GB used. I guess that could change depending on the game, how many mods your using, and side programs open.

Countess_C

Honorable
Aug 24, 2019
I have 32GB and have had 32GB for a long time going back to the 4790K days when I actually used some work programs.
I've never seen more than about 24GB used. I guess that could change depending on the game, how many mods your using, and side programs open.
I have programs like a browser, media player and an image editor, open when I play, so that's social media/forums, maybe some music and editing a few screenshots. Nothing too heavy, I guess. No video editing. Modern games want more RAM and VRAM than they used to, but 32GB maybe is the sweet spot at the moment for many gamers.

I think I'll go with Ripjaws V. Should be good, and it's on the B-Die list. Trident Z costs a lot more, but if I understand it correctly, it's better suited for overclockers.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have programs like a browser, media player and an image editor, open when I play, so that's social media/forums, maybe some music and editing a few screenshots. Nothing too heavy, I guess. No video editing. Modern games want more RAM and VRAM than they used to, but 32GB maybe is the sweet spot at the moment for many gamers.

I think I'll go with Ripjaws V. Should be good, and it's on the B-Die list. Trident Z costs a lot more, but if I understand it correctly, it's better suited for overclockers.
Not sure about it being better for overclocking unless your going to try to get tighter timings than it's rated for, that usually also calls for increasing the voltage.