Is it the Xbox or the Games?

I'm not sure there is a way to figure this out, but it seems that some of my
games run very poorly on the x-box while others are fine. When I say
poorly, they typically freeze up during play or I'll get the message "disc
is damaged or dirty".
At first I though it was the game, but it happened to 2 others and yet I
have some that run great. Could it be the disc reader in the box and if
so, is there a way to clean it? Anyone else run into this? It's quite
frustrating.

Thanks

Jen

> I'm not sure there is a way to figure this out, but it seems that some of my
> games run very poorly on the x-box while others are fine. When I say
> poorly, they typically freeze up during play or I'll get the message "disc
> is damaged or dirty".
> At first I though it was the game, but it happened to 2 others and yet I
> have some that run great. Could it be the disc reader in the box and if
> so, is there a way to clean it? Anyone else run into this? It's quite
> frustrating.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jen

It's most likely the Xbox...if you've got a Thomson DVD drive, that's your
problem right there. Check here to verify your drive:

http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Do not eat iPod shuffle."
- Apple Computers

sounds crazy....but do you use the hd cables but have them only hooked
up to a component TV?

I used to have the same problem, but when i switched to s-video cables,

Chuck

"BelPowerslave" <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure there is a way to figure this out, but it seems that some of
>> my
>> games run very poorly on the x-box while others are fine. When I say
>> poorly, they typically freeze up during play or I'll get the message
>> "disc
>> is damaged or dirty".
>> At first I though it was the game, but it happened to 2 others and yet I
>> have some that run great. Could it be the disc reader in the box and if
>> so, is there a way to clean it? Anyone else run into this? It's quite
>> frustrating.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jen
>
> It's most likely the Xbox...if you've got a Thomson DVD drive, that's your
> problem right there. Check here to verify your drive:
>
> http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/
>
> Bel
> --
> Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
>
> "Do not eat iPod shuffle."
> - Apple Computers

I had a Philips drive and had the same thing after just three months.
Thankfully I was just one day under the warranty so they fixed it.

<garciyalater@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> sounds crazy....but do you use the hd cables but have them only hooked
> up to a component TV?
>
> I used to have the same problem, but when i switched to s-video cables,
>

> Chuck

Hmmm that's interesting. We have the advanced AV pack so it's all hooked up
directly with the components including optical 5.1 audio.

Just got back from Best Buy where I picked up the last one they had to
replace this doorstop. Popped in the game we were having the most problems
with and so far so good. I can't tell for sure which drive it is. It
doesn't look exactly like any of the three, Samsung, Thompson, or Toshiba
drives. I heard microsoft was now using the Hitachi. Perhaps it's that
one.

On the plus side, I guess I can try and have some fun with the old one.
"Honey - grab me the screw driver, I'm going in!" ;-)

Jen

> Hmmm that's interesting. We have the advanced AV pack so it's all hooked up
> directly with the components including optical 5.1 audio.
>
> Just got back from Best Buy where I picked up the last one they had to
> replace this doorstop. Popped in the game we were having the most problems
> with and so far so good. I can't tell for sure which drive it is. It
> doesn't look exactly like any of the three, Samsung, Thompson, or Toshiba
> drives. I heard microsoft was now using the Hitachi. Perhaps it's that
> one.

Hmmmmm, I've heard there is a new version of the Thomson drive out there...and
it's much, much better than the old one...maybe it's that one?

> On the plus side, I guess I can try and have some fun with the old one.
> "Honey - grab me the screw driver, I'm going in!" ;-)
>
> Jen

Well, if nothing else, you could always mod it...

Bel
--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream...whoa, I think my dingy
hanging out!
- Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "BelPowerslave" <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm not sure there is a way to figure this out, but it seems that some
>>> of my
>>> games run very poorly on the x-box while others are fine. When I say
>>> poorly, they typically freeze up during play or I'll get the message
>>> "disc
>>> is damaged or dirty".
>>> At first I though it was the game, but it happened to 2 others and yet I
>>> have some that run great. Could it be the disc reader in the box and
>>> if
>>> so, is there a way to clean it? Anyone else run into this? It's quite
>>> frustrating.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jen
>>
>> It's most likely the Xbox...if you've got a Thomson DVD drive, that's
>> your
>> problem right there. Check here to verify your drive:
>>
>> http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/
>>
>> Bel
>> --
>> Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
>>
>> "Do not eat iPod shuffle."
>> - Apple Computers
>>

> I had a Philips drive and had the same thing after just three months.
> Thankfully I was just one day under the warranty so they fixed it.

I meant Philips in my last post, not toshiba...oops. I'm marking my
calendar this time!

Jen

~^ beancounter ~^ <richbonilla@yahoo.com> wrote:
> that's microsoft corp = oink, oink, oink...

Well, if you were talking about Sony, I'd agree. But Microsoft's PC hardware
(though not really made BY Microsoft) has been pretty solid.