Question Is it weird that no improvements were made when upgrading from a r5 1600 to a r5 3600?

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
I recently upgraded to an r5 3600, and noticed when playing some games (Ex: BF5) I got the same results as the r5 1600. The fps was about/basically the same. I thought I would be getting more fps since some benchmarks I saw on youtube, and what some of the comments said, had improved fps. On a side note I also bought an MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mobo just yesterday, and only updated the bios. Should I update all my mobo drivers to see if that could be a factor?

My Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C CPU Cooler
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mobo
XFX RX580 8GB GTS Black Edition
XPG Z1 3200Mhz 2x8gb
HP S700 250GB SSD, 1TB WD Black HDD
Corsair Vengence 650 watt 80+ Silver

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
You're likely not seeing a performance uplift because you are GPU limited. The RX 580 is only a midrange GPU and most of the time it will be the limiting factor for your framerates. CPU benchmarks are done with high end GPUs like the RTX 2080Ti to eliminate the GPU bottleneck and allow differences to be seen between CPUs.
So would a rx vega 56 do well? Or what card would pair well with my r5 3600?

Vega 56 would be a step up, but you might want to aim higher to get a larger performance jump over your existing card, eg. look at an RX 5700 or 5700XT if you want an AMD card, or something like the RTX 2070 Super if you want something from Nvidia. If you're happy with your current performance, you can stick with your existing GPU. A CPU upgrade can help in gaming, but only if you aren't already getting 100% out of your GPU.

Reactions: MXGamer80

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Stop looking at CPU reviews for gaming performance for one thing -- they are nothing but a major disservice to people who want to know what real world performance is in relationship to their CPU.

All the CPU gaming reviews do NOT represent real life expectations in any way, but only in a very specific configuration that pretty much no-one on the planet emulates. One has to be really a few bricks short of a load to purposely cripple their GPU to bottleneck their CPU, but this is exactly how all reviewers, do it, and then they completely fail to show any real world comparisons so people are left deceived. Again the reviews, and Tom's is also 100% guilty of this, are deceiving you.

You have an RX580 -- a decent mid range card, but it is the bottleneck, hence little gain is seen when you upgraded the CPU - the GPU is what games, the CPU pretty much doesn't. On a 1050ti a pentium and 6700k game the exact same, but it seems the reviewers want to keep these facts secret, likely because they are incentivized to do so.

Maybe Tom's can be the mature leader and make the first step in this direction, but as mentioned, I have a feeling a certain CPU maker provides incentives for reviewers to post the numbers the way the do (so that one brand looks better), and then never give us what real world results in a typical gaming rig would be.

Its all very sad to see how reviewers got duped into doing this, and here's the proof that this is real problem, created by review publications.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
no I didn't do a clean install of windows. So I have to reinstall windows 10 on my SSD?

Would be ideal to reinstall and remove any doubt of any underlying issues using an existing install where there's been a mash of different chipsets and drivers. The registry would be a mess too.

Easier to troubleshoot if don't have this potential problem hanging over your head.

Reactions: WildCard999

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
As said, there really was no need to upgrade your CPU, as the GPU is the bottleneck.
Wait, so I checked in battlefield 1, and my cpu at max would hit 82% and an avg of 73%, with my gpu at 100%, so this is a gpu bottleneck correct? It just seems weird because the usage on my cpu seems high, unless in bf1 it should be high usage? But even then the fps is still about the same as my r5 1600.

The benchmarks you see on the youtube are with rtx 2080ti at 1080p and medium settings thats why the performance difference. I recently upgraded my oc ryzen 5 1400 with ryzen 5 3600 and i see no difference at high fps with 1070ti only in some esport games but the difference is at the low fps i was dropping with ryzen 5 1400 many times bellow 60-50fps now this wont happen. With rx 580 you wont see any difference at all ryzen 5 1600 is already enough for this card.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Wait, so I checked in battlefield 1, and my cpu at max would hit 82% and an avg of 73%, with my gpu at 100%, so this is a gpu bottleneck correct? It just seems weird because the usage on my cpu seems high, unless in bf1 it should be high usage? But even then the fps is still about the same as my r5 1600.
Yes. It just means that the GPU is being fully utilized by the game with the settings you are using. Your CPU is more than capable of feeding the GPU as much as it can spit out. Your 1600 was also capable of this. This is commonly referred too as being GPU bound. BF is highly multi threaded. CPU usage should be pretty much the same as it was on the 1600.

Reactions: MXGamer80