Question Is it worth downgrade bios to enable pci-e 4.0?

alux9

Prominent
Feb 13, 2021
Hi guys, the title says it all, i bought a RX 6600 xt and I have a gigabyte b450m aorus and i wanna know if it's worth the downgrade the bios just to enable the pci-e 4.0, does it have big difference in performance? Will the downgrade have any impact on my pc?

Hi guys, the title says it all, i bought a RX 6600 xt and I have a gigabyte b450m aorus and i wanna know if it's worth the downgrade the bios just to enable the pci-e 4.0, does it have big difference in performance? Will the downgrade have any impact on my pc?
Short answer is no not worth it.

You would gain some performance, but probably not enough to make a big enough difference to be worth it. As far as I know, PCIe 4.0 had issues on 400 series boards and AMD stopped allowing manufacturers the option for enabling it in bios.

Also, it depends on whether you are running a Ryzen 3000 (non G) CPU or Ryzen 5000, because if you have Ryzen 5000, you will "soft" brick your motherboard and need to get an earlier bios compatible CPU to reflash the board to work with Ryzen 5000 again. Your board also does not support the function to flash the bios without a CPU installed.

I think you’ll be fine as is. Shopping for a card myself atm, from what I’ve seen there’s not a lot of difference. This article may help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as noted above it was a very short lived experiment and it did not work. amping up the frequencies for the pcie clot only managed to cause thermal issues without much if any performance gains.

that's why they stopped offering or even talking about it. you won't anything really see any loss with 3.0 and that card. it's not fast enough to need pci 4.0

Yeah as mentioned, PCI-E 4.0 on a 6600xt just isn't really worth it, its just not fast enough to take advantage of 4.0, a 6800xt or 6900xt sure I would try to get PCI-E 4.0 to work, you'd loose a few % of performance on 3.0 with them cards but even then its a small %.