[SOLVED] Is it worth keeping my gaming PC, or starting from scratch with a new build? What are my bottlenecks?

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
This gaming PC is already 10-12 years old. I haven't ran into issues with it until now. Escape from Tarkov seems too demanding for it.

Is it worth building a brand new machine now, or try to upgrade this one?
What do you see as my main bottlenecks right now if I would upgrade this current PC? Would it be a drastic performance boost if I upgraded a couple things?

CPU: i7 920
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
Current RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
GPU: Radeon RX 580 (recently upgraded to this)
PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500 GB

Solution
Even today's current "lower-mid-range" 6-core, 12-thread processors like the Ryzen 3600 and i5-10400 should offer nearly double the CPU performance per-core as a stock-clocked i7-920, along with 50% more cores/threads. I suspect we will see even more of a demand for CPU performance in new games as developers start targeting the next-generation consoles that will be launching soon.

It's probably about time for a new system, though it might be possible to get a bit more performance out of this one if you would rather not upgrade right now. RAM would probably be the most worth upgrading, as a lot of games these days are going to need more than 6GB to run their best. Tarkov's minimum requirements call for 8GB, with 12GB+ recommended. I...
Yor PC was pretty decent at that time, but makes no sense to put any money into it. No matter what you "upgrade", it's performance will be lower than today's basic PC. So, use it as long it serves your needs and then start from scratch.
This, use it for as long as it meets your needs but don’t invest any money in things you cannot move to a new system. The plan should be a complete new system when this stops doing what you want. You might bring the old HDD over as storage for games and files you don’t care about if the drive dies.

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Well like I mentioned, I haven't had any need to upgrade or really any issues until downloading Escape from Tarkov. According to their recommended specs (https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/news/id/11), RAM seems to be my main issue. Load times are crazy, but even if I have the patience for loading in, I get too much lag and stuttering in game.

The game is basically unplayable for me right now. With newer games coming out, I can't imagine I'd be able to keep up with those either.

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Going to do a RAM upgrade and see if that helps. It's the cheapest of the options on upgrading. If that doesn't help, then I'll think about either starting a new build or just not playing Tarkov lol.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
honestly if you want to play modern triple A titles I would build new , That 920 was a real performer back in the day but these days 6gb ram (even if it is running triple channel of course) is low, and I don't remember what the max OC was for the 920 ,, i think for a good bin it was 4ghz then people lapped them to get cooling ,,,, better ,,,, i remember frying my first 920 setup ,,,, with a leaky water cooling setup lol , Nowadays 4 cores and 8 threads is a struggle for cpu intensive games,,, ill name battlefield V for example would probably perform subpar on your current setup with the same graphics card as it would on say getting your hands on a 6 core 12 thread processor like ryzen 5 3600.

Reactions: GarrettL
Even today's current "lower-mid-range" 6-core, 12-thread processors like the Ryzen 3600 and i5-10400 should offer nearly double the CPU performance per-core as a stock-clocked i7-920, along with 50% more cores/threads. I suspect we will see even more of a demand for CPU performance in new games as developers start targeting the next-generation consoles that will be launching soon.

It's probably about time for a new system, though it might be possible to get a bit more performance out of this one if you would rather not upgrade right now. RAM would probably be the most worth upgrading, as a lot of games these days are going to need more than 6GB to run their best. Tarkov's minimum requirements call for 8GB, with 12GB+ recommended. I don't know the exact specifications of your RAM, and you would probably need to match them as closely as possible if you are adding modules to what you have, but it's possible to get pre-owned 3x2GB triple-channel kits off sites like ebay for around $20 (in the US, anyway), so that might be worth a try. Mixing unmatched sets of RAM can potentially result in incompatibilities though.

Aside from that, overclocking your CPU might be worth trying if you haven't already, as I believe that processor should have a decent amount of overclocking headroom.

Solution

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Just wanted to update in case this info was needed by anyone else in the future. Buying the RAM solved the issue. I have been able to play the game now and everything has seems to be running stable. Game just requires a lot of RAM and I didn't have enough.

RAM I got: Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory 1.5V

Love the old x58's.

Tsn2ruY.jpg