Is it worth overclocking mine?

swzeng

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all,

So I have a overclocked CPU been running this for a year now, no problem, but I am wondering if this is even worth it. I am goint to need keep this running 24/7 since I will be using this as my server, see below details. Initially I overclock due to hype and hoping for some performance boosting, but I am trying to see if this even make sense now to keep it at this speed.

CPU: I7 3770K - stable at 4.2 Ghz at 1.19 vcore
Video: GTX 760
Ram: 32 GB

Mainly use for work at home, server for datawarehousing. Run 3 or 4 VMware at times...Some gaming but not that hardcore like NBA 2k15, Age of Empire 2 (this is really OLD), occasionlly small amount of Call of Duty....

So again, since I will be running this 24/7, will it be worth to keep this speed or bump down to save some cost. Now I can live with the cost if this is performance required, but if it doesnt then might it might make sense it clock back down a bit? Thanks!

Solution

thats good. 4.2ghz using 1.19v is nice, and your temps are low, i would say you don't have much to worry about. it should run for quite a long time.

Rit_86

Distinguished
If you are running it 24/7, I would suggest to reset to its original clock. Unless you REALLY need to have some extra performance, it is not worth the overclock. Otherwise for reliability of running it continuously, it is much safer to run at stock frequency.

swzeng

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
So I agree what your saying, but when you say extra peformance, I mean is that significant? I do a lot of data transformation work (ETL), will this impact the speed? I am prob going to lower it down and test it out, but want to make sure that I am not just saving few bucks a month and lose productivity....

Rit_86

Distinguished
The processor can normally run at 3.9 GHz. You are running it at 4.2. So the maximum theoretical loss of performance is 7%. In reality you will see a loss of 2.5 - 3% of peak performance. You do the math. It will be barely noticeable. Not to mention the processor is so powerful it rarely needs the peak power continuously.

thats good. 4.2ghz using 1.19v is nice, and your temps are low, i would say you don't have much to worry about. it should run for quite a long time.

Solution