Question Is it worth the upgrade from i7-4790k to 7700k?

Mar 26, 2024
Hi all,

I am currently running a bit of a dated build consisting of an i7-4790k, with 16gb ddr3 ram (I don’t remember the exact speed but it’s not great) with a 1080ti. I have been noticing on more and more games that i’ve been crashing due to memory errors along with my cpu constantly running at a high load.

My friend is offering me their old components which consist of a smaller mobo in which i will need to purchase an adapter for my m.2, along with an i7-7700k and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

Was just wondering if this would make any big noticeable difference on my pc at all? I saw comparison videos of the 2 cpus and they looked very similar but the upgrade from ddr3 to 4 could also benefit

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sure, you'll see a general improvement in performance from a CPU vs. CPU perspective. Not huge, in raw terms, but noticeable.

Do you know the make/model of the new motherboard (assuming from you description it is a mATX size motherboard vice full ATX you have now?). As well, what motherboard do you have now.

Is this a free offer?

Reactions: Calzone99
Passmark benchmark scores:

11 percent advantage to 7700K on single thread score

20 percent advantage to 7700K on multi thread score.

"Worth it"??

Not to me, but that's always a personal question and I have no idea of whether you can afford to do better by changing motherboard and CPU to recent generation stuff.

"Difference at all"? Probably. You decide if it's "worth it".

Mar 26, 2024
Sure, you'll see a general improvement in performance from a CPU vs. CPU perspective. Not huge, in raw terms, but noticeable.

Do you know the make/model of the new motherboard (assuming from you description it is a mATX size motherboard vice full ATX you have now?). As well, what motherboard do you have now.

Is this a free offer?
I use full atx now yes, current mobo is an asus z97-k and the new one is an asus h110m-k

Mar 26, 2024
Passmark benchmark scores:

11 percent advantage to 7700K on single thread score

20 percent advantage to 7700K on multi thread score.

"Worth it"??

Not to me, but that's always a personal question and I have no idea of whether you can afford to do better by changing motherboard and CPU to recent generation stuff.

"Difference at all"? Probably. You decide if it's "worth it".
Alright thank you, I always assumed it would be more of a difference from the 2 cpus but they do seem pretty similar. I’m currently a full time student so don’t have the means at this moment to upgrade to anything better however that will definitely be the move afterwards

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just to be fair, 7th gen was always kind of a dog in terms of raw performance. It could be of consideration that (most of) the 6th and 7th gen chips were well more efficient than 4th gen. and they aren't hard to keep cool.
It was asked above if this was a "gimmie" update and if this is free, sure why not type thing.

I haven't tried to sell a 4790K in some time, but these had been in demand a great deal over the years. My thoughts are that it is probably more well received by enthusiasts than the 7700K would be.

Mar 26, 2024
Just to be fair, 7th gen was always kind of a dog in terms of raw performance. It could be of consideration that (most of) the 6th and 7th gen chips were well more efficient than 4th gen. and they aren't hard to keep cool.
It was asked above if this was a "gimmie" update and if this is free, sure why not type thing.

I haven't tried to sell a 4790K in some time, but these had been in demand a great deal over the years. My thoughts are that it is probably more well received by enthusiasts than the 7700K would be.
That’s useful thank you, yeah it’s all leftover parts they had stored away and was offered them since my pc is starting to struggle on cpu tasks along with the memory being a slower speed ddr3

Reactions: punkncat

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That’s useful thank you, yeah it’s all leftover parts they had stored away and was offered them since my pc is starting to struggle on cpu tasks along with the memory being a slower speed ddr3
As noted throughout the thread, you would get some marginal CPU performance improvement and MAYBE some improved memory performance, but the lack of m.2 and weaker thermal management on the "new' motherboard somewhat negate those gains.

You really should start saving for a much more modern rig.

Reactions: PEnns
Mar 26, 2024
As noted throughout the thread, you would get some marginal CPU performance improvement and MAYBE some improved memory performance, but the lack of m.2 and weaker thermal management on the "new' motherboard somewhat negate those gains.

You really should start saving for a much more modern rig.
Absolutely I will be saving for a new setup after I finish my studies this is mainly just an upgrade that will be for around 6-12 months. I did just pick up a pcie adapter for my nvme m.2 so at least i’m not losing that

I would say, given the above elaboration, that this is not really a worthwhile upgrade. Better to save any money you would spend now on a new computer in 6-12 months. Every dollar saved today is a dollar spent on your new build or anything else for that matter.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I am in the same situation: 4790 CPU with its DDR3 memory, MSI Gaming Mobo and a 1660 Super GPU.

I must admit though, this setup is still working great for me (I added SSD adapters which work quite well, but I wouldn't use them as a boot drive; for that a Samsung SATA is working very well).

In my case, the setup runs all my games incredibly well (Far Cry all versions, latest Doom, Green Hell, Metro, Dying Light, COD, BioShock, etc) and I wouldn't contemplate any minor upgrades unless for a totally new system, maybe sometime this year.

Selling it though is a different story; not sure where or how much it would bring, most likely barely enough for a couple of new SSDs, which is a shame for such a still very capable system!

Reactions: Calzone99

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hi all,

I am currently running a bit of a dated build consisting of an i7-4790k, with 16gb ddr3 ram (I don’t remember the exact speed but it’s not great) with a 1080ti. I have been noticing on more and more games that i’ve been crashing due to memory errors along with my cpu constantly running at a high load.

My friend is offering me their old components which consist of a smaller mobo in which i will need to purchase an adapter for my m.2, along with an i7-7700k and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

Was just wondering if this would make any big noticeable difference on my pc at all? I saw comparison videos of the 2 cpus and they looked very similar but the upgrade from ddr3 to 4 could also benefit

The 4790k was an excellent CPU almost 10 years ago. My backup machine is a 4790k. The 7700k is not a lot better by any means. Either way you won't have windows 10 support after 10/25. No way to run windows 11. No TPM 2.0 support. Maybe save your pennies and upgrade to something more usable.

Reactions: PEnns and Calzone99