Is it worth the upgrade?

Onur Alp Bicer

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I am building or upgrading parts for a friend's rig, and I wanted to ask opinions about this. He currently has a system with an i7 3770 and 8 gb of ddr3 ram with a amd 6700 series gpu. Now of course I am going to be changing that gpu, but do you guys think it is worth it to build a whole new system with an i5 6600(or might be 6500 depending on the budget) and an r9 380, or should he just upgrade gpu and a few other stuff and leave cpu there for a year or two?

Also, if you say upgrade some parts, which parts, aside from gpu and psu do you guys suggest I should consider upgrading. 

Thank you for reading, any response is appriciated. 

I'd stick with the cpu also and just upgrade the gpu, the psu depending what model and how old it is. Ssd would depend on what they do with the pc, I'm one of the minority I guess that either doesn't use crappy hdd's or doesn't take advantage of ssd benefits. I have two systems identical aside from the main drive and the one with the ssd you almost can't tell other than when restarting or first turning the system on.

Definitely doesn't make games go faster (no fps improvement) aside from slightly faster scene loading. That could be a benefit if you're playing a game that loads between levels. It's not a terrible upgrade but would likely be near the bottom of an upgrade to-do list if budget were an issue.