[SOLVED] Is it worth to upgrade to a i5 7500T from i3 7100T

Jul 12, 2020
Hello
one peace of advise from you guys

I'm looking to upgrade my mini pc to a i5 7500t to gain some speed when the it 7700t is to expensive.

I can buy the 7500t for for $100 dls when the 7700t for $200 is to much for the money I would rather change my computer for a ryzen 3400g which seams a bigger hop and a more justified expense.

I use my pc for some programming (.net, c++, R), casual old videogames (call of duty modern warfare 1/2, rise of nations), virtualization (virtualbox), web, videos, etc.

my actual configuration is a:

Dell optiplex 3050 micro

i3 7100t

20gb RAM ddr4

NVME crucial

will it be wort to upgrade to a i5 7500t or maybe I should wait to replace the whole system with a ryzen 3400g?

kind regards

Solution
Honestly, that 100 bucks would be MUCH better spend being put towards a newer platform. The gains going from two cores with two hyperthreads to four cores is there, but it's not all that substantial. For 100 bucks you could be well on your way to a much better upgrade.

Do you have a graphics card or are you using integrated graphics?
Honestly, that 100 bucks would be MUCH better spend being put towards a newer platform. The gains going from two cores with two hyperthreads to four cores is there, but it's not all that substantial. For 100 bucks you could be well on your way to a much better upgrade.

Do you have a graphics card or are you using integrated graphics?

Solution
Right. I completely missed the Optiplex mini in the description.

Truth be told, in that case, I'd recommend just waiting for the new Ryzen 4000 series APUs which are going to be coming out soon and should have substantially better performance, both on the CPU and GPU side of things, in the near future.

Of course, that's assuming you can even USE something other than what came IN that unit, WITH that unit, because most of the Dell small form factor stuff is 100% proprietary.

Jul 12, 2020
Right. I completely missed the Optiplex mini in the description.

Truth be told, in that case, I'd recommend just waiting for the new Ryzen 4000 series APUs which are going to be coming out soon and should have substantially better performance, both on the CPU and GPU side of things, in the near future.

Of course, that's assuming you can even USE something other than what came IN that unit, WITH that unit, because most of the Dell small form factor stuff is 100% proprietary.
also true, the used intel 7500t = $100 vs Ryzen 4350g ~ $139 it's not that much of a diffrence on money but with the double amount of cores, probably each core more powerful and way more powerfull graphics seams a no brainer, my problem it's that the advantage of the cpu seams to vanish with the price of the motherboards .. why are they so expensive?!!

I was wishhing to get a way better performance with less of an investment with the 7500t, it seams its not.

well I'll start some savings to get the new ryzen 3 or 5 (4000).

thank you guys !!!

The cost of these motherboards, B550 at least, will likely go down in the coming months. If you can wait a while, you will probably find that by the time you've saved up enough for the purchase that prices will probably be significantly lower. China is back to manufacturing, somewhat at least, and more importantly, container ships with product are once again beginning to make their way across the pond so once there is a greater supply that can to some degree equalize with demand (Unlike now, where everything is out of stock and what isn't is grossly expensive) it should deflate prices.

Jul 12, 2020
The cost of these motherboards, B550 at least, will likely go down in the coming months. If you can wait a while, you will probably find that by the time you've saved up enough for the purchase that prices will probably be significantly lower. China is back to manufacturing, somewhat at least, and more importantly, container ships with product are once again beginning to make their way across the pond so once there is a greater supply that can to some degree equalize with demand (Unlike now, where everything is out of stock and what isn't is grossly expensive) it should deflate prices.
Sorry for the delay, good to know that information, in fact I was intrested on B550, the cheapest chipset that probably allow me compatibility with future ryzen, if it gets cheaper way better,

Thank you for the info