[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading GPU?

Ryzen 5600X
X570 I Aorus pro wifi
MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
2x8 (16gb) HyperX 3600mhz
Seasonic Focus GX-750
24'' 165hz 1080p Red Eagle monitor

I have the above system, never had any problems with it, it runs everything I play/do on it but was just wondering, in the near future would a GPU upgrade be worth it at all for gaming on a 1080p monitor and what would be a worthy upgrade or is it just a case of, ''if it's not broke, dont fix it?''

Solution
If you have the money and don't mind being gouged the sky is the limit with your current setup.

I would start looking then sell the 2060 as fast as you can.
On the other hand, you could wait for ethereum to switch over from POW.
Priceswill drop, as will the value of the 2060

I think with a bit of effort you may come across something you can afford.
Nvidia 3070or better
And 6700xt or better.

For very noticeable upgrades to GPU power.

I feel like the 12 GB cards are a better option, but at 1080p
A very powerful 8GB card will fill your screen refresh rate in most games.

Seems odd to say at this point with prices the way they are, but if were you I wouldn't cheap out. A high end card 3080 or 6800xt they are going to last a long azz...
If you have the money and don't mind being gouged the sky is the limit with your current setup.

I would start looking then sell the 2060 as fast as you can.
On the other hand, you could wait for ethereum to switch over from POW.
Priceswill drop, as will the value of the 2060

I think with a bit of effort you may come across something you can afford.
Nvidia 3070or better
And 6700xt or better.

For very noticeable upgrades to GPU power.

I feel like the 12 GB cards are a better option, but at 1080p
A very powerful 8GB card will fill your screen refresh rate in most games.

Seems odd to say at this point with prices the way they are, but if were you I wouldn't cheap out. A high end card 3080 or 6800xt they are going to last a long azz time with your current hardware before you start to to see cracks in performance. The consoles are still relatively new. Advancement s won't be drastic for a few years, nor will the game requirements. Spend some money and enjoy!

Reactions: Krotow and kurdtnz
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ryzen 5600X
X570 I Aorus pro wifi
MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
Seasonic Focus GX-750

I have the above system, never had any problems with it, it runs everything I play/do on it but was just wondering, in the near future would a GPU upgrade be worth it at all for gaming on a 1080p monitor and what would be a worthy upgrade or is it just a case of, ''if it's not broke, dont fix it?''

Honestly, at 1080p, even high framerate 1080p, I don't see the point, especially given current prices. If you have $700 to drop on a serious upgrade -- which is about what you would need right now -- that $700 would buy more GPU later on at the point you actually have a problem running everything you have satisfactorily.

Reactions: kurdtnz
The fact you are asking and you seem happy with what you have would suggest an upgrade now is not the right time. I’d wait until you find your gpu lacking. Prices are slowly coming down and if you wait to next gen there will be better options, it’s not unreasonable to expect next gen to perform better with Ray Tracing, resizable bar and possibly other existing or new features being introduced.

6Gb VRam is way too low. You should consider an upgrade.
Today 8Gb Vram is minimum, so think about it.
Why? I agree if buying new I’d look for 8gb but I would not buy a new gpu just to say I have 8gb. 6gb is still plenty at 1080p as long as you don’t crank up max settings which you are not likely to do with a 2060.

I know it’s a different card but I have a laptop with a 2060 6gb 1080p 144Hz. In AAA games it still runs very well with medium settings and some settings tweaked to either low or high.

View: https://youtu.be/f1n1sIQM5wc

Why? I agree if buying new I’d look for 8gb but I would not buy a new gpu just to say I have 8gb. 6gb is still plenty at 1080p as long as you don’t crank up max settings which you are not likely to do with a 2060.

I know it’s a different card but I have a laptop with a 2060 6gb 1080p 144Hz. In AAA games it still runs very well with medium settings and some settings tweaked to either low or high.

View: https://youtu.be/f1n1sIQM5wc

High is plenty and AA isn't all it is supposed to be. Med AA has always worked fine for me.

Thanks for the input all. Yeah, prices are still ridiculous for GPU's here in the UK, like I said, Im happy with the 2060, it plays everything I like really well but if funds allowed, I'd of liked to of upgraded to something like a 3070 just so I could experience some ray tracing and I'll probably swap out my son's rx 570 for the 2060. Im happy with my PC but you know what it's like..... always looking to needlessly upgrade ;) Thanks again!

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Ryzen 5600X
X570 I Aorus pro wifi
MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
Seasonic Focus GX-750

If you are also not planning to upgrade your monitor, no it is not worth it taking the price of GPUs at the moment into account.

When GPUs start to be sold in MSRP and/or if you are thinking about upgrading your monitor, it is something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow and kurdtnz
Ryzen 5600X
X570 I Aorus pro wifi
MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
Seasonic Focus GX-750

Yes there's a benefit at 165hz, though I'd just adjust the graphics to hit that refresh rate. A new card would also be much better at ray tracing. However it's hardly slumming it and GPU prices are very high so I would hold onto what you've got and worry about it when you actually face a problem. The RTX 40 series will be out before long anyway.

Though if your desperate, Scan and Ebuyer both have 3070/3070 Ti's in stock, albeit at above MSRP:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pal...ay-tracing-graphics-card-6144-core-1575mhz-gp