Is it worth upgrading right now?

Xamantu

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
First off, I'm using a Athlon 64 X2 5200+, Asus M2N-MX SE and a GeForce 9600GT. I'm going to the US this weekend and was planning to upgrade to a i5 2500K, Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 and a GTX 680.

Problem is, GTX 680 is already out of stock on Amazon and i'm not sure if BestBuy will have it in the store (these are my only 2 options, as Newegg doesn't deliver to hotel guests).

A relative of mine is also going to the US in May, and I was thinking that if I can't buy the GTX 680 right now, i'd ask her to buy it for me, hopefully there will be a cheaper GTX 670 or ever a price drop from the GTX 680 until then...

But then I thought, is it worth not buying the 2500K now and waiting for Ivy Bridge? if so, is it worth not buying the P8Z68-V and waiting for a new chipset? I really want to buy the 2500K and the P8Z68, as I don't really think Ivy Bridge would make a crucial difference, and i don't really want to ask my relative to buy me a shitload of hardware. What do you guys think?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Just go with the i5 2500K and a GTX 680/GTX 670 (GTX 670 will probaby be out in April along with several other Kepler cards) if Ivy doesn't release anytime soon.
The performance between SB and IB will be unnoticeable, and the gains will be minimal.
It runs hotter due to the smaller die small, making it easier for heat to spread (if the previews are accurate), but it does consume less power while overclocking higher.
If you have the resources get what is available ATM (or at least released).

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
where are you going in the US? look for a fry's or even a microcenter. microcenter has the gigabyte ud3h and i2500k for a package deal of $295 total (i just got mine this week). fry's is a bit more expensive, however they will definitely have what you need in stock most likely.

though if you aren't going to a metroplex area, there probably isn't either store nearby.

Xamantu

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Well, I'm going to Orlando, maybe Miami too.