Question is it worth upgrading to the 6900xt?

hav0k304

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
Got my system before the lockdown so it didn't really cost that much

Ryzen 5 3600
5700xt
16gb ddr4 3200
BenQ 2780Q 1440P Monitor

I've recently purchased a 5800x3d to upgrade from the 3600 and have noticed much more stable frames but in some games I'm getting good performance, seems be around the 70 to 80 fps mark

Cyberpunk is around 60 FPS days gone 75-80 FPS Hell let loose 80 assasins creed 60-70 ffps

I can get a 6900xt for 750 GBP on finance right now as I couldn't afford hat kind of money outright.

Do you guys think this is an upgrade I should be making as my 5700xt has been a great card for me but its getting older and i could sell it for around 250 to make up the cost i paid for the CPU.

Will I see noticeable gain's or just an extra few FPS? and do u guy's think the upgrade is worth it?

Reasons to upgrade:
1.) You can have a faster GPU and smoother gameplay.

Reasons NOT to upgrade:
1.) You have to finance the part.
2.) RX 7000 series will release next month, making the RX 6000 series more or less obsolete. Nvidia is also release new GPUs.
3.) You already have a decent 1440p gaming card. It's not the best, but it will hold you over until you can afford a faster card.

You've made a good purchase with the 5800 X3D. However, I wouldn't go and finance an upgrade just to play a game that performs horrible on just about any GPU. I would wait until faster GPUs become more affordable.

hav0k304

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
Well I've done it and financed the card, they have already confirmed the order and its due to be delivered in 3-5 days and I'm instantly regretting the decision now XD, is there anyway to cancel the agreement as the first payment isn't due until 6th December, I don't really want to get into debt over a GPU upgrade and like you say the 5700 xt is still decent..

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well I've done it and financed the card, they have already confirmed the order and its due to be delivered in 3-5 days and I'm instantly regretting the decision now XD, is there anyway to cancel the agreement as the first payment isn't due until 6th December, I don't really want to get into debt over a GPU upgrade and like you say the 5700 xt is still decent..

You would have to talk to the retailer.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Colif

Win 11 Master
RX 7000 series will release next month, making the RX 6000 series more or less obsolete.
new cards existing don't suddenly kill old cards. Just make them cheaper to buy. They still just as good now as they were last week before 7000 series.

Re opening question: I was thinking the same upgrade path as you but 7900xt has same power requirements as the 6900xt so I am just waiting a month.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Just one question since you already ordered the new GPU, Whats your PSU brand and model (complete)?

Will I see noticeable gain's or just an extra few FPS? and do u guy's think the upgrade is worth it?
It's my opinion but...you've a 1440p monitor and 6900xt is a 4K card so that kind of makes the upgrade "not worth it". Paying extra for high FPS gaming in triple-A titles is definitely "not worth it".

I don't know what you got it at but I agree this card in particular may come down a bit more in price as the 7900's come to shelves in a few weeks. I don't think it will be obsolete for quite a while yet and will be an over-kill 1440p gamer for a long time... especially if you're not hung up on ray trace performance.

For the triple-A games you're playing you seem to be getting adequate FPS on the 5700XT you have, but if you wanted more a much better buy would have been 6800xt. I'm playing CyberPunk, (almost) maxed settings, with ray-tracing around 60fps with occasional drops into the mid 50's on my 6800xt driving a 1440p/144hz monitor.

And I totally agree: financing a video card (or any electronic gadgets for that matter) is a bad, bad, bad financial decision. The fact you had to finance it all on it's own makes this thing "not worth it". It will be worth way less than you owe for most of the time you're paying it off. In the US you've a period of time for financed purchases to change your mind and cancel...usually 3 days, some states may be longer. I have to think there's something similar in the UK...I'd strongly advise to cancel this deal if you can.

Last edited: