Is Microsoft Really a Dying Consumer Brand?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
People are getting way off topic is regards to this article. Let's leave aside the PC vs Mac arguments. This is about brand recognition. We're talking about people's association of product image to the technology behind it. Do a simple word association game with your friends. Ask them what the first thing that comes to their mind when you say the following:

Search Engine - Google
Video Game Console - Xbox, PS3, or Wii
Smartphone - Probably iPhone, Droid, or BlackBerry
MP3 Player - Most likely iPod, it's almost become ubiquitous
Computer Operating System - Gotta be Microsoft Windows
Tablet Computer - likely iPad
Office Productivity - Microsoft Office
Online Music Store - iTunes or Amazon

Microsoft could be the leading brand in all these categories but clearly isn't.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
nay... MS is not a dying brand, it's only that right now it has to do some catching up for new markets

they still have their "traditional" markets more than owned, but the up and coming businesses are a whole different story: shooting at the smartphone and tablet market, vastly improving their browser and search engine, I wouldn't mind about and ipod competitor - the thing is darn restrictive but coming up with a centralized way to pick up programs (what's these days known as an app store) seems like another opportunity for MS but please remain a semi-open system

if we play by the same coin, Apple and Google are dead brands because of their weaknesses: I don't see Mac OS-X on many computers nor many using google's os, Apple console anyone? a google one? where's apple's search engine? how come I can't install whatever open source software under iphone? google has some office application package yet I don't see many people working with it over MS Office, where's their server support?

the list can go on and on and really, it means nothing other than they can still grow a lot but they will usually focus on what's already working and slowly attempting to grow on different fronts

whoever wrote that at CNN is simply playing the troll

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]fellskrazykayaker[/nom]Microsoft could be the leading brand in all these categories but clearly isn't.[/citation]

There could be a monolithic leading brand for all those categories but FORTUNATELY there isn't

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Anyone who says MS is NOT a dying consumer brand is in denial.

IE, everything in this article simply argues MS is not a dead brand. Correct, MS is not a dead brand. But they are consistently declining in the consumer sector. That means they are dying. And they aren't doing much to show they are about to turn it around. The Zune was a failure, Windows Phone 7 will be a failure, and lately Windows just maintains the status quo.... Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, and even Vista took too long.

The future is Google & Apple. They are the ones innovating, MS is always playing catch up and copying other's ideas. I think they're going to be a dying brand in the business sector eventually, too.

All MS has right now is the Xbox.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]There could be a monolithic leading brand for all those categories but FORTUNATELY there isn't[/citation]

Agreed :) Thankfully there isn't. Which is why I can't understand why anyone would be so undyingly loyal to any particular brand?

G

Apple is a foo foo brand for lazy people. PC's with the right hard/sowtware are sooo much more powerful and personally configurable.

Seems the newer bunch of, "Facebook me" social butterflies do not seem to care as long as you are tweetable.

The stolen Apple logo from the Beatles has strength in certain areas but lacks as a workhorse.

Apple is more like featherweight in a heavy weight division.

The people (Apple fanboys)are the same numb-nuts that will except all streaming movies from netflix and the like. This tells me this newer generation lives in their own private Idaho and are the epitome of laziness.
Really sad..

Even though it will be hardly noticed, I cancelled my netflix account.
Why? Because I see where this streaming BS is headed. Sony dictates while Netflix bows at Sony's command.
Boo Netflix, screw Sony...
Jeff

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Reading Comprehension: the question is CONSUMER brand. Does your average Joe look at something see the name brand "Microsoft" and assume it must be ok? Likely not. The question posed is not is Microsoft dying or does MS suck or or anything of that nature.

Previous commenter made a good point, no one says MS Office or MS X Box just Office or X Box. Of course this actually validates the question. Look at an X Box ad and the Ms connection barely shows up, it is a non factor. The systen is branded X Box not MS. Your end user simply does not look for the Microsoft logo (brand) nor is greatly affected by it's presence or lack thereof.

So yes you can say Microsoft may be a dying consumer brand.

Conversely take a look at anything Apple it is clearly apple and the brand name holds sway (bad or good depending on who you ask). Disney the same. Try finding anything directly Disney (not a billion subsidiaries) not clearly labeled Disney's *.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I agree that MS is a dying brand.
Windows and MS Office don't sell because they are the best thing out there.
They sell because of high market share and user lock-in. MS is basically abusing it's monopoly.

slight correction: MS Office might actually be the best office suite out there, but only because no other office suit can sell while 90% of the world is using Microsoft's bullshit proprietary file formats.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I stoped listening to CNN when i found out how off and one sided there news can be during my travels back and fourth from over seas. When this news comes from a trust worthy sight ill beleave it, but CNN is not a tech sight, and are playing to the massess just like all the rest of the news they pump out. Its the truth, but they leave ALOT of the story out to flip news on its head.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]I'm not talking about desktop computers. I'm talking about Laptops and Tablets. These are devices that most consumers want these days. Whenever someone asks me if they should build their own desktop, I say "Why, is this the 1990's?" Laptops and tablets are the present and future of the consumer industry. Desktops are for corporate luddites, architects, and engineers...not consumers.[/citation]

Ok, I have to call BS on this. So all gamers out there world wide are playing on laptops and tablets????????? I started in this industry building high-end custom built gaming desktops. Which I might mention is what Tom's features alot of its content around. I have a linux box, I dont know jack about linux and I ll be the first one to admit.

But again here back to the main course, if you are stupid enough to buy the cheapest laptop or tabby you can find, its your fault. If you are looking for the sale on the latest $250 laptop from Walmart...YOU are the reason you have a junk laptop. There are plenty of medium and top end vendor options out there that compete with Apple for looks and real horse power. Anyway I'm more than happy to be considered an engineer, I guess that would be a step up from consultant. LMAO

G

Just as CNN is a dying news channel? Come on CNN is looking to grab headlines. Microsoft is on a role with Windows 7 and its Office suite is still the best out there. Not to even mention XBox or Windows Mobile which seems to have quieted the nay sayers so far. Sorry, CNN will be long gone before Microsoft.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]Anyone who says MS is NOT a dying consumer brand is in denial.IE, everything in this article simply argues MS is not a dead brand. Correct, MS is not a dead brand. But they are consistently declining in the consumer sector. That means they are dying. And they aren't doing much to show they are about to turn it around. The Zune was a failure, Windows Phone 7 will be a failure, and lately Windows just maintains the status quo.... Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, and even Vista took too long.The future is Google & Apple. They are the ones innovating, MS is always playing catch up and copying other's ideas. I think they're going to be a dying brand in the business sector eventually, too.All MS has right now is the Xbox.[/citation]

I agree and disagree with this. I don't see Microsoft being as strong as they once were and yeah google and apple are making moves in the market place where Microsoft should have a firm grip and doesn't. However, humans in general hate change, so as far as the consumer market goes. Unless consumer home and SOHO, systems start getting bundled with some other OS, you talking about a really slow death. I mean we geeks will try the new stuff well dive deep in to new tech with out the manual, but my experience in Home and small office service says it will be a while before MS is unseated from their nice cushy position as the OS and office software of choice.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
CNN just hypes whatever it wants to try make it into a headline. Watching what they call news is a joke, they take the most ridiculus things and try to pass it off as important / life altering / world changing event. Its like this anywhere, no news? make news!

I am so sick of seeing comercials for jane velez-mitchell, nancy grace or joy behar. Since when does talking loudly, yelling, or making generalized blaket statments about a subject make it news. Who the heck decided to give these annoying wind-bags a job? Oh and that mike galonos guy isnt much better either.

Makes me think of how the news says unemployement is falling every month, its only because the people that do not qualify in one way or another, or have exhausted thier compensation and are no longer counted as being unemployed! They just twist everything to the way they want it to be.

ARRRHH! I just cant take it, right up there with reality TV. If it wasnt for some ok movies here and there, Sienfeld, and educational stuff like Discovery, History, Science, and Nat. Geo Channels I wouldnt even need DTV or a TV for that matter.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]fellskrazykayaker[/nom]Agreed Thankfully there isn't. Which is why I can't understand why anyone would be so undyingly loyal to any particular brand?[/citation]

Haters gonna hate. Fanboys gonna... do whatever fanboys do.
I love the fact that MS is getting under pressure by competitors, it should make them come up with something better or keep the competitors improving and becoming dominant. Whatever the result it should bring better products for me as a consumer. But that's a hell away from "MS is dead".

Reminds me of the "PC gaming is dead" thingie... probably the PC gaming is undead?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]But it's not crap and that's my point, that PC makers and fanboys like you look at Apple and scoff, but you've got nothing to back that up. With the iPad Apple is now the largest computer company in the US. PC makers need to take the threat seriously, or start down-sizing.[/citation]

I'm sorry, but the hardware Apples sells in their iDevices is the same hardware that is available on other non-Apple products. The difference is the price markup Apple places on the hardware. This does make the hardware crap. Especially if an identical hardware set can be built and sold for 1/2 or 3/4 the price.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Are you guys really that daft? I'd think tech savvy people would view this site. But most of the comments are from fanboys who have their heads so far up Microsoft's ass, that they're blind. I'm shocked to see ignorance run so rampant. Microsoft is certainly a dying brand. It's just reality. I don't think Microsoft's biggest threat is Apple, though. Their biggest threat is free, open source software. Right now, Microsoft succeeds by having a stranglehold on operating systems and productivity software. It's what they live by, and eventually it's what they'll die by. All companies who rise eventually fall. The tech landscape is always changing.

Seriously, Microsoft fanboys need a reality check and a dose of common sense. Your irrational hatred of everything Apple and love of everything Microsoft is both amusing and sad. I hope you're 12 year old nerds and not adults. You're as bad as the Apple fanboys you claim to hate. You'll bitch and cry just because there's an Apple news story. And bitch and cry when there's any criticism of Microsoft. And celebrate like you just won the lottery when there's an article criticizing Apple. And from some of your comments, I can see some of you are equally ignorant in other walks of life.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Just because you work at CNN... and you and your retard buddies have apple products.. that automatically means everyone has apple products?.by the way.. who or what is CNN?... I thought they were a dying brand.. doesn't everyone just watch fox?[/citation]

Yeah, idiots who cant think for themselves watch Fox...apparently you are one of those people. Fox is not news, its opinion. There is a BIG difference.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]I'm sorry, but the hardware Apples sells in their iDevices is the same hardware that is available on other non-Apple products. The difference is the price markup Apple places on the hardware. This does make the hardware crap. Especially if an identical hardware set can be built and sold for 1/2 or 3/4 the price.[/citation]

To honest I have always eyed the Apple eye candy, and the vision behind it which is an elegant machine with a vision. I don't however appreciate Steve Jobs attitude towards his customers or his mistakes, but then again you don't become a billionaire without making enemies. Apples makes some great products, however when my daughter comes to me and says "Dad I want an Mac Book for Christmas" I cry when I look at the price and the software compatibility" I would have no trouble buying a Mac for my kid if I didn't feel like I was supporting a drug habit because thats what if feels like when you spend close to 1,500 bucks for a laptop that has a quarter of that cost in hardware in it. So on that Team is right. I have always said that Microsoft is my paycheck if they didn't make mistakes I would be out of a job. I think this whole deal is a bit early on the chance of them dying and a bit far fetched. Please bare in mind there is no one to pick up the slack for dependable OS options with regard to a drop in fix that can be done right now. Kinda like when IT ops around the world considered going to Linux instead of Vista, Its a great Idea with bucket load of problems, Solvable problems but none the less problems that cost money and labor hours to fix. I think we can count on have MS around for at least as long as it takes for some to come up with a turn key, drop in ready option for Home, SOHO, Enterprise and Financial offices. Plus I hate to say but Win 7 and its managability in just about every location has made me a bit of a believer. Plus it games very well. Only one blue screen in a year. Guess well have to wait and see.

G

MS has given more to personal computing than any other software company out there, every other company only exists because of MS, yes Apple, Linux Community, every company!.. Because MS brought Computing to the masses through its windows OS!

MS is no dying brand, you would need to completely change the face of Personal computing in an instant to kill MS, because this steady march of progress will be met by MS.

Think of it as a Massive Ship, takes longer to turn around than a smaller vessel, but sure as hell less sinkable in a storm than the smaller vessel!

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I would not say so as the basis for this arguement hasnt been fully reviewed and I have not seen the CNN special on this topic. However, seeing as MSFT's stock is stable and the company has a strong and healthy R&D as well as new updates and software every so often, it does not look like they will be out any time soon. I would hope not anyway as Microsoft is still innovative and at the same time, "user friendly" to people all over the world.

I would say that hardware might be their only "weakness" and perhaps its their marketing department? Apple seems to "click well with the masses but in fact their products are just glorified PC's with an OS that is in my opinion annoying and too propriotary. Apple has in essence become Microsoft in that way(a monopoly in terms of OS, and itunes, ect)...

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well i am using a Windows phone 7 right now, and it's fantastic. Some friends who are Apple fanboys have really even been excited about the phone and how good the operating system is and how smooth it runs. (Not that they would admit it's better than apple) But i think MS have a really strong product in Windows phone 7. The only thing i would say is that it has been poorly marketed in New Zealand here, considering it was a major release from Microsoft. Would have expected more from them and Vodaphone, and would hope they have done more overseas. But anyway a bit of a rubbish statement from CNN surely!

Status
Not open for further replies.