Is Microsoft Really a Dying Consumer Brand?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, nice discussion. Very thoughtful comments to think a little more about this article.

And, I'll keep saying this: MS IS a dying brand. And like a commenter said, just like IBM. It ain't gonna disappear at all, it will just be "another brand" with no relevance for the avg Joe and no force to make a comeback into consumer space. For crying out loud, IBM gave up the PC and Laptop business just to "create technology for business". Not that their products rock, but at least they work (I hate working with websphere xP).

That's the road MS is walking into right now and CNN is giving them a "free" wake up call. Just like Ozzie did.

God, please, give Google, Apple and little developers some slack in this circus. MS hasn't done anything new to us consumers for more than a decade. Hell, the las thing I remember being "new" from MS was the... The... Nope, I can't come up with anything. Help me here, please :p

Cheers!

bubbathaluva

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
You can tell the people that work at Tom's Hardware are probably writing their articles on Apples. I honestly don't think MSFT is a dying consumer brand. Apple & Microsoft are really personality choices. I've gone out of my way to avoid Apple anything ever since my first run-in with iTunes. There was an article a week ago about how the new MacBook Air was revolutionary, but Sony did the same thing 4 years ago. So then we must believe that Apple takes good electronic ideas and make them better. They weren't the first to market with an MP3 player, but the iPod is supposed to be the best one. However, how is it considered better when you are forced to load extra software to make it work. I LOVE MP3 players that show up on the computer screen by just plugging in an MP3 player. Then I love dragging and dropping music straight into it without using some gay program. How is adding more steps to this process better? APPLE SUCKS! Tom's Hardware: Please stop bowing down to Apple. Please stop kicking microsoft in the nuts. Both companies will thrive or die base on their products, not because you suggest it in a gay article.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I agree with CNN. Go and read the actual article.

Sure, Windows is still installed on most of the worlds computers, but for how long will we actually even need a full desktop OS? Witness companies that, at the beginning of the decade issued laptops to their workers, then gave them mobile broadband cards, and today no longer issue computers to field employees at all: they get a smart phone.

The iPad has already completely changed the direction of Netbooks. And by that I mean, reversed the direction. Netbooks, as a sector, are falling in sales in comparison to the previous year month on month. The space is growing smaller and smaller.

Why? The iPad has an easy to use interface, and provides easy, direct access to kind of content users want. Its an easy way to get entertainment media, news, and is a powerful game platform (sure it won't play Gears of War 3, but if the Wii taught us anything its that the casual use market is huge, and wants simple, fun content they can connect with).

Microsoft, however, does not have a tablet interface. As, I think it was Asus?, recently said, the Windows 7 interface is still designed to work like any OS from 1985: with a mouse and keyboard. It doesn't lend itself to a touchscreen very well. And Microsoft does not have a tablet interface project ongoing: they're just hoping someone comes out with hardware beefy enough to run Win7.

What about Windows Phone 7? Ballmer can cry all he wants about being "early," the smartphone revolution began 4 years ago with the first iPhone. Android succeeded because it removed the limitations of the iPhone platform, and was made freely available to anyone who wanted it on their phones (hence, nearly every cell manufacturer has an Android Phone anymore).

Windows Phone 7, however, is a proprietary OS. It can't be spec'd out by the manufacturer like Android.

The worst part? Windows isn't cool. What Microsoft needs is a consumer base willing to dive into a new product or service with nothing more than brand loyalty. Anyone here think they could stand up for Microsoft the way Apple fans do for Apple products?

Sure, in 10 years Microsoft will still be around. But will it be king? Will it break into new markets? If Ballmers past performance is any indication, no. Microsoft missed every big new thing in tech in the past decade. They missed out in search, they missed out on smart phones (they barely have 5% market share now), they missed out on content distribution (iTunes being the worlds largest music retailer, Zune being DOA). They completely missed cloud media, and the worst part is they were the first to it with Windows Media Player. But Netflix, iTunes, any number of channels beat WMP even though they showed up later. Microsoft missed social networking, its only claim in the area being it bought into Facebook.

They missed out on gaming. Sure, the Xbox 360 has finally turned a profit and is making Microsoft some money, but it damaged their reputation with faulty hardware and how poorly it was handled. And meanwhile the Wii ate both Sony and Microsoft's lunch, being much more profitable. And it proved that simple, connected games would make way more impact and money than old school games. Sure, the biggest selling releases on consoles still put up huge numbers, but even the big game studios are trying to get games up and running for the iPod, iPad, and Android phones.

Microsoft has lost the OS battle. More computers run IE, true, but how many of those are terminals running IE6 in some cubicle farm customer communications office, where the employees don't even open the browser? Its not that most people in the consumer space actually use IE, its that there are dummy computers out there running it with whatever scripts or virtualized programs they've been running for some business strategy.

Microsoft is a one trick pony. It has the Windows OS. That is it. And in the future, that may stop being relevant in the consumer space.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

Sure, Windows is still installed on most of the worlds computers, but for how long will we actually even need a full desktop OS? Witness companies that, at the beginning of the decade issued laptops to their workers, then gave them mobile broadband cards, and today no longer issue computers to field employees at all: they get a smart phone.

The iPad has already completely changed the direction of Netbooks. And by that I mean, reversed the direction. Netbooks, as a sector, are falling in sales in comparison to the previous year month on month. The space is growing smaller and smaller.

Why? The iPad has an easy to use interface, and provides easy, direct access to kind of content users want. Its an easy way to get entertainment media, news, and is a powerful game platform (sure it won't play Gears of War 3, but if the Wii taught us anything its that the casual use market is huge, and wants simple, fun content they can connect with).

Microsoft, however, does not have a tablet interface. As, I think it was Asus?, recently said, the Windows 7 interface is still designed to work like any OS from 1985: with a mouse and keyboard. It doesn't lend itself to a touchscreen very well. And Microsoft does not have a tablet interface project ongoing: they're just hoping someone comes out with hardware beefy enough to run Win7.

What about Windows Phone 7? Ballmer can cry all he wants about being "early," the smartphone revolution began 4 years ago with the first iPhone. Android succeeded because it removed the limitations of the iPhone platform, and was made freely available to anyone who wanted it on their phones (hence, nearly every cell manufacturer has an Android Phone anymore).

Windows Phone 7, however, is a proprietary OS. It can't be spec'd out by the manufacturer like Android.

The worst part? Windows isn't cool. What Microsoft needs is a consumer base willing to dive into a new product or service with nothing more than brand loyalty. Anyone here think they could stand up for Microsoft the way Apple fans do for Apple products?

Sure, in 10 years Microsoft will still be around. But will it be king? Will it break into new markets? If Ballmers past performance is any indication, no. Microsoft missed every big new thing in tech in the past decade. They missed out in search, they missed out on smart phones (they barely have 5% market share now), they missed out on content distribution (iTunes being the worlds largest music retailer, Zune being DOA). They completely missed cloud media, and the worst part is they were the first to it with Windows Media Player. But Netflix, iTunes, any number of channels beat WMP even though they showed up later. Microsoft missed social networking, its only claim in the area being it bought into Facebook.

They missed out on gaming. Sure, the Xbox 360 has finally turned a profit and is making Microsoft some money, but it damaged their reputation with faulty hardware and how poorly it was handled. And meanwhile the Wii ate both Sony and Microsoft's lunch, being much more profitable. And it proved that simple, connected games would make way more impact and money than old school games. Sure, the biggest selling releases on consoles still put up huge numbers, but even the big game studios are trying to get games up and running for the iPod, iPad, and Android phones.

Microsoft has lost the OS battle. More computers run IE, true, but how many of those are terminals running IE6 in some cubicle farm customer communications office, where the employees don't even open the browser? Its not that most people in the consumer space actually use IE, its that there are dummy computers out there running it with whatever scripts or virtualized programs they've been running for some business strategy.

Microsoft is a one trick pony. It has the Windows OS. That is it. And in the future, that may stop being relevant in the consumer space.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

Consumers are snatching up the iPhone and iPad to go along with their iPods

The majority of the people are blind slaves to marketing. If you notice, Microsoft doesn't do even a quarter of the marketing that Apple does but still olds the majority of consumer PCs as well as the largest amount of business PCs.

Its sad to say but people see a flashy commercial and think "Gee, thats gotta be the best thing ever!!!". There always has been better devices out than the iPod (thats what got Apple so popular) that don't tie you to crapware (iTunes) or restrict your use of it such as the Zune HD or the awesome Creative Zen players.

But alas, those don't get out as much in the marketing world.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I don't think so, what microsoft lacks is that it fails to act or execute what they create - they did sell the product but failed to demonstrate what the product tick.

randomizer

Champion

Windows 7 wasn't your idea?

G

Apple is rocking because they sell products people WANT, ENJOY using, and WORK! Microsft sells stuff people HAVE to have for their computer to work, HATE either tech supporting, and adopting low expectations because it doesn't WORK like advertised. All Vista owners should have gotten Win7, because Win7 is nothing more than Vista fixed. Cheat your customers and make them beg for what they paid a lot of money for, you will loose customers. It took an hour and a half for me to active vista last time. They told me my number was invalid as I'm holding the package with serial in my hand. I don't appreciate having to beg for something I paid for, 240 bucks. So Microsoft lovers can go piss off! I don't love Apple, but I do not like Microsoft. Somebody needs to push Steve Balmer out of his ivory tower so he can experience reality long enough to see how the business practices of his company is alienating people. I have to use Microsoft because I like to put my own computer together. I'll steal it next time. Why pay good money and then be punished for it? It's time to have a lemon law for software and some ownership rights to what you buy!

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This isn't exactly NEW news Tom???

Let me see where to start:
1. Apple passed up Microsoft in terms of financial muscle many many months ago -- it was on most national news stations, did you miss it??
2. Vista was a 5 year disaster with many many Billions invested
3. Zune ... yeah right ok, whatever, dead as a door knob
4. Mobile OS ... haha ... market share on that is ...

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I can safely bet that the so called CNN "analyst" has an iPhone in his pocked and an apple magnets on his fridge! Apple is now indeed much stronger than M$ in terms of brand awareness in the consumers market. People know they buy from Apple when they buy an iSomething while most people buying a PC from Dell, HP, Acer,... but don't realize that their PC only works because there is a Microsoft OS installed on it, but it still fills MS's pockets.
Unfortunately for Apple, most of their revenues cannot be secured in the long term. The iPhone, iPad, iPod will continue to sell like hotcakes in the coming months (maybe a few years) but the competition is there now and the hype around their devices will not last forever. Apple's computer sales do not increase, and you don't see lots of companies using them in offices or production environments (most of the time, it is confined to marketing departments). iTunes/Appstore will continue to drive revenue for longer due to the large iPod/iPhone/iPad installed base but even that will eventually schrink if people buy more devices from the competitors and buy their music from Amazon or other sources...

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]eatmeimadanish[/nom]I'll make it more complicated: Yes.1) No web browser or the ability to play most media files on the xbox360?2) Didnt bother to come out with a touchscreen OS for phones until 2 other options were fimrly established3) They still use NTFS for a file system... holy crap.4) Who owns a zune? oh wait why would you, your not allowed to do anything on it.5) Windows 7/ excellent OS. Windows VISTA just another way to steal your money on something that just doesn't work. End result, people don't trust microsoft. 6) Hey microsoft, your web browser sucks... for the eighth time...7) Why can't we just boot windows off of a flash drive again? Why did XP require a floppy disk for raid drivers?I have more but... those are good enough for now.[/citation]

If you have another OS that can do what windows does in all aspects of computer use then name it

Otherwise, Microsoft won't be dying as a consumer brand even after 20 years.Hell, 90+% of the world's computers are running microsoft

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Anyone check out the latest Ubuntu Linux review on TomsHardware?

It has a pretty intresting and different interface than Windows. Its more like a cross between the two. The Launcher/task bar is on the left side - since all of us have SUCH wide screens... this can make better sense to some, where vertical space has been lost to 1080p LCD wide screens... :( I prefer 1920x1200 over 1920x1080.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Shiitaki[/nom]Apple is rocking because they sell products people WANT, ENJOY using, and WORK! Microsft sells stuff people HAVE to have for their computer to work, HATE either tech supporting, and adopting low expectations because it doesn't WORK like advertised. All Vista owners should have gotten Win7, because Win7 is nothing more than Vista fixed. Cheat your customers and make them beg for what they paid a lot of money for, you will loose customers. It took an hour and a half for me to active vista last time. They told me my number was invalid as I'm holding the package with serial in my hand. I don't appreciate having to beg for something I paid for, 240 bucks. So Microsoft lovers can go piss off! I don't love Apple, but I do not like Microsoft. Somebody needs to push Steve Balmer out of his ivory tower so he can experience reality long enough to see how the business practices of his company is alienating people. I have to use Microsoft because I like to put my own computer together. I'll steal it next time. Why pay good money and then be punished for it? It's time to have a lemon law for software and some ownership rights to what you buy![/citation]
Could you please explain how you activated your windows copy by phone using the serial, when Microsoft never asks for it?

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]I'm sorry, but the hardware Apples sells in their iDevices is the same hardware that is available on other non-Apple products. The difference is the price markup Apple places on the hardware. This does make the hardware crap. Especially if an identical hardware set can be built and sold for 1/2 or 3/4 the price.[/citation]

That's a Windows Fanboy wet-dream! Go down your local BestBuy or Fry's and you will see that most of the laptops they sell have Pentium, Celeron, or wrse Atom processors, Intel graphics, in plastic - sticker covered - butt ugly designs.

Apple sells none of that hardware. And they say Apple people are delusional?

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Drakennz[/nom]for the LOVE OF GOD - don't watch fox!!!!!!! They're not a news channel, don't ever let them fool you into thinking they are. I have never seen as much bias in "reporting" as is available for viewing on fox (and I've heard msnbc is similar for the left).[/citation]
NPR is the faux of the left.

dekyos

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Apple posts a record earnings of well over 10B and CNN says it's a dying consumer brand. I'm pretty sure there are more Windows 7 machines in homes across the planet than Mac can ever hope to achieve. Just because Mac is gaining market share in the US (and not at all abroad) doesn't mean it's taking over as the consumer brand. Who wants to pay $1100 for a laptop with specs equivalent to a $500 PC laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.