[SOLVED] Is MWE 550 V2 230V DC-DC LLC or not

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I ordered Cooler Master MPE-5501-ACAAB but dealer sent me MPE-5501-ACABW-B (Cooler Master MWE 550 V2 230V Bronze) instead. Now looking at Cooler Master's website, they say this one's DC-DC + LLC too, but when I'm looking inside the actual PSU, I don't see any daughter board or such. So, I'm having my doubt whether it's group regulated, and CM pulled a marketing gimmick on me. I couldn't find any online review either. Can anyone enlighten me on the same? Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
They're not group-regulated. You wouldn't get that rail chart with a group-regulated PSU and I don't see the two coils in the secondary. Cooler Master sells a lot of cheaply made PSUs, but they wouldn't outright like about something like the wattage like fly-by-night dodgy PSU off-brands will.

That being said, while it's nice that it's not group-regulated, it's still not a particularly good one. Nor would I want the 230V-only one. Return it to the retailer for pulling the switch. A good opportunity to get something better (though the exact what depends on the exact specs).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
They're not group-regulated. You wouldn't get that rail chart with a group-regulated PSU and I don't see the two coils in the secondary. Cooler Master sells a lot of cheaply made PSUs, but they wouldn't outright like about something like the wattage like fly-by-night dodgy PSU off-brands will.

That being said, while it's nice that it's not group-regulated, it's still not a particularly good one. Nor would I want the 230V-only one. Return it to the retailer for pulling the switch. A good opportunity to get something better (though the exact what depends on the exact specs).

Solution

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I don't see the two coils in the secondary.
Are these the coils you looking for? I took it from the PSU.

it's still not a particularly good one. Nor would I want the 230V-only one.
On the Linustechtips site, the one I intended to buy is listed as tier-2, and the one I received is tier-3 (both of them are to avoid because of coil whine, but I don't hear any). IDK how 230V one is different from non 230V one.

The market here (India) is full of groupreg trash. The reliable and affordable Corsair CX is no longer available anywhere here so this is the best I can get for now.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Are these the coils you looking for? I took it from the PSU.

On the Linustechtips site, the one I intended to buy is listed as tier-2, and the one I received is tier-3 (both of them are to avoid because of coil whine, but I don't hear any). IDK how 230V one is different from non 230V one.

There are a lot of reasons.

One of them, from the guy who runs the design team at Corsair:

"Ok. That's the old 230V only version of the VS. About five years old. Replace it.

The UPS has a good "switch over" time (it's shorter than the PSU's hold up time), but if it can't supply 180V or more within the hold up time period, the PSU will shut off to protect the bridge rectifier.

One of the reasons that PSU was discontinued and one of the reasons I tell people NEVER buy a 230V only PSU. "

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
There are a lot of reasons.

One of them, from the guy who runs the design team at Corsair:

"Ok. That's the old 230V only version of the VS. About five years old. Replace it.

The UPS has a good "switch over" time (it's shorter than the PSU's hold up time), but if it can't supply 180V or more within the hold up time period, the PSU will shut off to protect the bridge rectifier.

One of the reasons that PSU was discontinued and one of the reasons I tell people NEVER buy a 230V only PSU. "
The household voltage level in India is 220-240 volts. Do you think this PSU will encounter the problem you mentioned?