[SOLVED] Is my 10900k voltage okay?

Jun 18, 2020
Been trying to do some research and tailor my 10900k OC settings to those I've seen, but was looking for a second second opinion on my settings.

Running a 10900k @ 5.1ghz all cores.
Benchmarking using XTU runs all cores at max 1.39v. Max temp is 80c. Voltage is set to 1.35v with auto LLC in BIOS. Idle voltage is 1.35-1.37v.
After a little OC tweaking, 5.2ghz all cores crashes, so I dialed back to 5.1 ghz as I didn't want to push higher than 1.35v in BIOS. Since I was hitting 1.39v highs during benchmarking @ 5.1, I wanted to see if I could lower my voltage since I've read 1.3-1.35 is where it seems to be safe based off other forum discussions about it. Couldn't get my pc stable at 1.25v, or 1.3v in BIOS. It would boot up, but as soon as I tried opening XTU or MSI afterburner, it would BSOD and restart. So my settings are back to 5.1 with 1.35 in BIOS, but hitting 1.39v in XTU benchmark. Though my pc has been completely stable with these settings, is that 1.39 and 1.35-1.37 idle voltage too high? Can it damage my CPU if it stays this way?

Solution
Your temps are great, but that is a high voltage. You def didn't win the silicon lottery but you don't have to as your temps are really good at 80c. Most people hit 90c easy.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Your temps are great, but that is a high voltage. You def didn't win the silicon lottery but you don't have to as your temps are really good at 80c. Most people hit 90c easy.

Solution
1.4v has been fine for atleast older gen intel processors. Only thing what can cause rapid degration (less than year even) is too high imc/vtt voltage, i would not go above 1.325v for that. I had no problems with running 1.4v vcore on 1st gen intels for almost decade, only degration i had was with i7-860 which i raised VTT to 1.4v.

Jun 18, 2020
I tweaked with settings some more, tried setting core voltage to 1.325 in BIOS, would open up xtu, but when I tried to run benchmark, it crashed. I tried messing with ram voltage to see if that had any effect on anything, as they are currently running @3600 mhz XMP. tried setting ram voltage to 1.325 along with cpu voltage to 1.325, still no luck. Set ram voltage back to 1.35 and set core voltage to 1.34. Managed to successfully run a benchmark with the voltage hitting a highest of 1.38. Max temp was 78c. Any other ideas I can try to maintain this frequency with lower voltage? Or is it coming down to if I want to lower the voltage at this point, then I'd need to lower the frequency?

Edit: When I run the CPU on stock, including when I first got this pc roughly a month or a few weeks ago, it was defaulted to an all core frequency of 4.9 ghz

Jun 18, 2020
You should check out the last 5 minutes of the following video. Jay talks a little about overclocking on this cpu, and apparently, it isn't great.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUu6xRlGLo

The 10600K looks to be the overclocker's wet dream, and not the flagship part.

Just watched it, and it makes sense. Hard to imagine hitting 5.2 ghz let alone 5.3 on this thing. I did manage to do a little more tweaking. I lowered my ram from 3600 XMP to 2933 xmp disabled, after doing this and seeing everything booting up fine, I kept my cpu at 5.1 and lowered voltage to 1.28 after other attempts just to test around. Turns out it is managing at 1.28, going between there and 1.318 during benchmarking with a max temp of 72.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Turns out it is managing at 1.28, going between there and 1.318
How high do you have the LLC set to? That is designed to counteract voltage droop(Vdroop), but the higher levels in turn can cause some serious overvoltage on the bounce back up.

Nevermind, I just saw that you've been using Auto LLC... no telling which level that one's using. Well, it can't be too crazy, as it's just 0.3v.

Wish I could tell you what's normal for this chip, but it's still very new. Heck, even Silicon Lottery doesn't have a full table at the moment on the 3 K cpus - just 10700K at the moment.

Jun 18, 2020
How high do you have the LLC set to? That is designed to counteract voltage droop(Vdroop), but the higher levels in turn can cause some serious overvoltage on the bounce back up.

Nevermind, I just saw that you've been using Auto LLC... no telling which level that one's using. Well, it can't be too crazy, as it's just 0.3v.

Wish I could tell you what's normal for this chip, but it's still very new. Heck, even Silicon Lottery doesn't have a full table at the moment on the 3 K cpus - just 10700K at the moment.
Yea I tried checking there to try and compare and analyze, alas, no 10900k stats there just yet. Going as low as 1.265v proved to be unstable, even at 1.28 I was getting crashes during benchmarking again and I didn't know why. I switched LLC from auto to LLC 1, honestly don't know if that even did anything as my voltage still stays between 1.28-1.318, but a few benchmarks in and it's managing to stay stable. I'm curious, I've only been able to hit this voltage at this clock ever since I turned my RAM Freq. down. I know CPU and RAM work together in a sense, but can an increased RAM freq. affect the voltage at which you can successfully clock certain freqs on your cpu, eg higher RAM freq= more voltage needed for CPU OC? Dunno if that makes sense.

Jun 18, 2020
So, I've been doing some reading, and it seems the best way to overclock cpu is to not use software for OCing since BIOS is there for it (seems obvious). I uninstalled everything on my pc related to intel XTU. I booted into bios and tried to set my OC to 5.1 there not having changed anything else, but after booting up, cpuid and hwinfo show my clock is at 5.0. Tried setting it to other clocks as well(5.2, 4.8) but it is not sticking. I have my voltage set to auto, and that seems to be sticking according to whatever OC I try to set my system to, so that is changing, but the freq. isn't. After no luck with BIOS, I tried using dragoncenter to change my Clock with the DPC Latency tuner. I set it to 4.8, rebooted, and still stuck at 5.0. Even though I uninstalled XTU, could it have just kept some kind of default values stuck on my pc or something?

Jun 18, 2020
Yes, I uninstalled through add/remove programs

I looked through MSI's support section for my motherboard, shows I have the current latest version and am up to date. Also looked in dragon center for a double checked, and scanned for no newer update. Mobo is z490 MSI godlike