Question is my 5800X running hot?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

My Concerns About CPU Temperature and Potential Damage

I’ve been consistently monitoring my CPU temperature, worried about potential long-term damage. I previously used a Thermaltake 120mm fan AIO with an Intel 8700 chip. After upgrading to a Ryzen 5800X, I noticed higher temperatures, especially during summer.

Temperature Observations

My CPU idles between 60-65°C. While gaming, temperatures peaked at 90°C, causing significant concern.

Cooling System Upgrade

I upgraded to a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L ARGB V2, a 240mm cooler with two 120mm fans. While playing a CPU-intensive game (Throne and Liberty), with CPU usage around 60%, temperatures ranged from 80-85°C.

Undervolting Attempt

I lowered temperatures to the 70's (when playing games ) by undervolting to 1.25V and setting the clock speed to 4500MHz using Master Ryzen. One side effect was that installing a game that relies heavily on CPU usage always caused my PC to restart when undervolted and trying to install the game.

So my question is , should I worry about these temps? are these normal temps for a 5800X in a hot environment (38-40 degrees celcius weather), or maybe bit lower if AC is on, so is there anything I should do or worry about or should I leave it as is and remove the undervolt as well and just keep moving on?

Last edited: