Question Is my 700w psu good enough for a 5800x3d + rx6750xt?

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
After ordering a 5800x3d to upgrade an r5 5600 because i mainly play games like world of warcraft at 1080p and csgo (new vid was released showing the 3d cache to benefit cs2) I'm starting to have second thoughts about the quality of my power supply.

Current specs:
Psu: evga 700w GD gold rated (non modular) purchased 2022
Cpu: 5800x3d will arrive Thursday
Mobo: msi mag b550 gaming plus
Cpu cooler: peerless assassin 120 rgb arriving thursday
Ram: 2x 8gb ddr4 cl18 3600mhz
Gpu: 6750xt
Nvme: 512gb
Hdd: 2tb
Fans: 6 thermalright rgb fans
Case: xpg starker

Will the wattage of 700w be enough / should I trust this psu to power my pc for 4 years?

Small side question: do I just update to the latest bios or is there a better msi bios for the 5800x3d that is not the latest one?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Solution
D
Decided to buy it because it was only $80 on sale (CAD).

Famous last words. :ROFLMAO:

If you had went with a cheap no name bronze rated PSU I'd say you'd have more to worry about... but being EVGA you should be fine... at least based on my experiences. I've used their PSUs for years and have never had a problem. I try to shoot for a little breathing room in my builds... i.e. my current build shows 900W on PCPP and I built with a 1300W.

Yours shows in the ballpark of 475W so you should be fine with the 700W.

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA units have been hit or miss in their own top of the line of units in their portfolio. If we're to assume that your motherboard BIOS is on the latest version, and your PSU isn't having trouble internally, then yes you should be fine.

Just for the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on?

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
EVGA units have been hit or miss in their own top of the line of units in their portfolio. If we're to assume that your motherboard BIOS is on the latest version, and your PSU isn't having trouble internally, then yes you should be fine.

Just for the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on?
I am currently on bios version 1.2.0.7. And the PSU has caused no issues as far as I can tell, it runs quiet and seems very efficient for the price. Decided to buy it because it was only $80 on sale (CAD).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Decided to buy it because it was only $80 on sale (CAD).

If you had went with a cheap no name bronze rated PSU I'd say you'd have more to worry about... but being EVGA you should be fine... at least based on my experiences. I've used their PSUs for years and have never had a problem. I try to shoot for a little breathing room in my builds... i.e. my current build shows 900W on PCPP and I built with a 1300W.

Solution

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016

haha hope not! thanks for the information. The build literally started off as a 5600/rtx 3060 but with it being a 6750/5800x3dnow i was quite worried. Next time will grab an 850 or higher for the upgrade itches.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's an OK, not a great, PSU. It ought to be fine for a midrange build. It would be more of a problem with a higher-end PSU with big transient loads because the PSUs that FSP made for EVGA are pretty aggressively costed down, using active-clamp reset forward topology, making it better than junky old double forward PSUs but not on the same level as the good stuff. With a 6750XT, it ought to be fine, though I certainly wouldn't choose to buy this PSU given the choice.