IS my 8320 not capable of playing Hawken ?

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I have been building a Gaming PC for some time now and have it to the point where I can use it. But, if I play Hawken I only get 30 FPS on ultra no vsync. My gpu setup is a crossfire 7850 2gb, so that can't be the limiting factor.
Do I need a better HDD or RAM or a new cpu Idk..
FX-8320

Help? Insights?

Mixing ram can cause problems, and some games run better on Intel cpus, but here are some things you can check first:
1. If you run the game at a lower resolution, is it still at 30 FPS? If so, you've definitely got a cpu bottleneck.
2. What's your cpu usage while playing?

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Mixing RAM eh... I do have different sticks in but they are at low clock speeds 1333.

Also any video setting and res leads me to have the same fps. I don't know why.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Playing at a low res leaves me with 30fps still. But on ultra its still 30 - 70. CPU usage %35 at peak

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

GPU 1 Idle 40c Load 60c GPU Idle 43c Load 60c-70c, CPU idle 30c - 35c Load 40c

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

There is a slight increase in FPS but that is just standard in games using crossfire. But thats besides the point.

I wasn't familiar with Hawken, so I looked it up in Wikipedia, and apparently it's multiplayer only. That means there's a possibility that the server is imposing a limit on the framerate, in which case upgrading your rig won't make any difference.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Would you care to explain how you've determined this? I'm rather confident that the CPU and GPU render graphics thus depending on the power of those components can determine the FPS generated.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

I doubt it. Because I have gotten 120 at times.

tcb1005

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Your RAM speed isn't at fault. One of my older PCs has a GTX660, Phenom II X6 1045t, and 6GB of mixed RAM clocked at 1333mhz, and it can run games like Batman Arkham Orgins at max settings with 50fps.

Alternatively, it might vary based on the server load. Does it give you any way of checking how many others are on the same server? If so, compare how many are on when you get 30 fps to how many are on when you get 120 fps. You could also try messaging other players to find out what frame rates they're getting. If the other players are getting the same frame rate you are, then it's a server issue rather than an issue with your rig.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Please stop. What you are saying is not how multiplayer gaming works. FPS is purely client side. Lag which has nothing to do with FPS involves communication issues between the client and the server. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag#Lag_in_online_multiplayer_gaming

In no way can the server limit the FPS rendered by the client's CPU and GPU. Depending on how the game was designed, the environment can be taxing on the computer. For example, the more people you are playing with, the more scenarios your components have to render.

Let me put it to you like this. You and I are playing chess over the phone. We each have a chess board in front of us. The communication over the phone, while very simplified, is basically how two computers communicate to a server. When a person makes a move, you lift your arm to move a chess piece on the board, which is your computer rendering the game. Explain to me how a break in communication affects how fast you lift your arm? It doesn't. You waiting for me to make a move has zero impact on how fast you lift your arm.

Yoplait, have you tried not playing the game in crossfire?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this point. Theoretically, a game could be written to allow the server to specify the framerate for the client (to even the field or whatever). I realize Hawken most likely wasn't written that way, but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard for Yoplait95 to ask others who are playing at the same time and thoroughly rule out that possibility. I'll leave it you from here, though.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

No. The game itself can be written to implement a max FPS. Again that is all client side. The server cannot and will not do anything of the sorts. We're talking about the difference between layers of the OSI model and game design. There's no reason for Yopalit95 to ask that question. Spend 30 seconds looking up reviews of Hawken game play and you can rule out your "theory." Not even considering I said earlier what my average is in Hawken.

I'm not an expert, but I work for a network firm. What you are describing doesn't happen.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Again, when CF is disabled there is a slight fps boost, but not enough to matter. I only have 6gb of ram.. That should be enough right ? Also there has been some signs that my hard drive might be bad.. Could this cause lag in games ?

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

By mixed ram I mean there are 3 sticks 1 stick set to clock at 1600 but is running 1333, and 2 sticks set to run 1066 but running 1333.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Sorry if you've already said that. I missed it.

I've been looking around. It appears that many people are having issue with Crossfire and the buggy game in general.

https://community.playhawken.com/topic/33518-status-on-crossfire-sli-support-in-hawken/page__hl__crossfire
https://community.playhawken.com/topic/33751-any-settings-that-boost-fps-specifically-high-end-rig-low-perf/page__hl__crossfire#entry447440
https://community.playhawken.com/topic/33449-still-no-fix-for-low-fps-why/page__st__20__hl__crossfire#entry442841

I honestly don't have a solution for you. Sorry about that. One of the threads talks about messing with the ini file for Hawken. Check in about that.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Good chance your cpu is throttling. What make and model mobo are you using? Hopefully it has 8+2 phase power and vrm's with good heatinks.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

I have a Asus M5a97 R2.0 AM3+... I spent so much time looking into it too.. Soo, my mobo isnt good at all then huh. What can I do to make my PC build not lag so hard..... A new MoBo? or...

The m5a97 r2 is a great board for regular use and if ur not overclocking and using alot of hard drives etc the motherboard doesnt exactly play a huge part in fps. The board is even okay to overclock on as it has heatsinks on the vrm

I use the 8320 oc'd to 4ghz with a 7970 and i havent played hawken but isnt the game in early access and just switched to steam? Again havent play hawken but i get no problems in other games at all even with the overclock it should handle gaming fine. I would have to say its a crossfire issue, do u know if the game is crossfire supported or optimized?

Have u tried other games to put stress on ur system? there are alot of free to play that are stressful and many more paid games try them and if u dont notice bad fps then its Hawken.

Did u update drivers?