[SOLVED] Is my ASUS Z87-Pro dead? (CPU light red + QCode 00)

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
I picked up a used ASUS Z87 Pro and put in my confirmed working i5-4690K, but cannot get it to post. The red CPU led is lit, but I know the CPU is fine.

Other details:

1. No bent pins or visible damage to board (it is in very good shape / clean)
  2. I tried multiple PSUs, swapped memory, etc.
  3. Q Code is 00
  4. CMOS Battery is good
Could it be a BIOS issue? I'm going to try resetting / taking out the battery for an hour. Anyone have any thoughts?

Terry

Solution
It COULD be a BIOS issue, if that board never had it's BIOS updated since the 4690k is Haswell refresh and those were not originally supported on Z87 like they were on Z97 so it may need a newer BIOS version to recognize that CPU. Possibly.

First thing I'd do though is try a different CMOS battery. That will throw a code 00 quite often on these ASUS boards. Given the age of the board it might only be a surface charge you are reading on the CMOS battery or if you replaced it it's possible you may have gotten an old weak battery as these CR2032 batteries don't tend to be fast movers. They may sit in a store for years without being sold. Otherwise, it's pretty much gotta be a board or CPU issue.

I've rarely seen a code 00 on any ASUS...
It COULD be a BIOS issue, if that board never had it's BIOS updated since the 4690k is Haswell refresh and those were not originally supported on Z87 like they were on Z97 so it may need a newer BIOS version to recognize that CPU. Possibly.

First thing I'd do though is try a different CMOS battery. That will throw a code 00 quite often on these ASUS boards. Given the age of the board it might only be a surface charge you are reading on the CMOS battery or if you replaced it it's possible you may have gotten an old weak battery as these CR2032 batteries don't tend to be fast movers. They may sit in a store for years without being sold. Otherwise, it's pretty much gotta be a board or CPU issue.

I've rarely seen a code 00 on any ASUS board that wasn't either CPU, motherboard or CMOS battery, and that could include a corrupted BIOS, bent pins or other related failures on any of those components.

Reactions: bloodedbythought
Solution

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022

I've rarely seen a code 00 on any ASUS board that wasn't either CPU, motherboard or CMOS battery, and that could include a corrupted BIOS, bent pins or other related failures on any of those components.

Thanks so much for the extended reply.

I independently tested the CPU - I know it is good. The pins are good, I broke out the magnifying glass. I'm hoping it is a BIOS issue, but I have no way of flashing it since I do not have a spare LGA 1150 :( I will change the CMOS battery and report back.

T

With two CPUs that technically SHOULD work on that board, one for sure, one "probably", and having replaced the CMOS battery, and still the same issue, it looks pretty likely that it's a board issue. Given the probable age of the board, it's not terribly surprising to be honest.

I assume you bought this board used, through Ebay or something similar?

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
With two CPUs that technically SHOULD work on that board, one for sure, one "probably", and having replaced the CMOS battery, and still the same issue, it looks pretty likely that it's a board issue. Given the probable age of the board, it's not terribly surprising to be honest.

I assume you bought this board used, through Ebay or something similar?

Yes, on OfferUp. It was RMA'd and then not used. Actually I think I found the problem, finally. It was hidden under the CPU clasp: https://imgbb.com/rcpBb8T

I'm assuming there's no fixing this :(

Scratches on the traces? No, there is no way to fix that for the average person. I'm pretty doubtful that even a highly experienced electronics repair shop technician could or would even want to try, to fix that. Manufacturer would likely throw it in the trash bin and simply replace it with one that wasn't damaged if it was returned under warranty. I also HIGHLY doubt that person who sold it to you ever RMA'd it or it would both not have those scratches on it and it would be working unless they damage happened after it was returned from RMA.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
Scratches on the traces? No, there is no way to fix that for the average person. I'm pretty doubtful that even a highly experienced electronics repair shop technician could or would even want to try, to fix that. Manufacturer would likely throw it in the trash bin and simply replace it with one that wasn't damaged if it was returned under warranty. I also HIGHLY doubt that person who sold it to you ever RMA'd it or it would both not have those scratches on it and it would be working unless they damage happened after it was returned from RMA.

Thanks for all your help. Sad about the board, but it was 20$ (plus 6 for the test chip, which I can use for testing other boards).
And I think you are right, I'm now pretty skeptical of the RMA'd story from the seller. Buyer beware, I guess :p

Graphics cards and motherboards are two items I won't buy used unless I know the person I'm buying them from well enough that they'd be welcome at my house for dinner during the holidays.

Other stuff, CPUs, memory, power supplies, cases and even to some extent other add in expansion cards like network adapters, I'm not totally against buying used if I can be pretty sure the seller is reputable. But motherboards and graphics cards, that's a big "nope" for me, because they are too commonly found to have problems which is why they are selling them in the first place. Those two components are very high risk when buying used because they are items most people don't sell by themselves unless there is some problem with them. Not always to be sure, but often enough to make it pretty risky.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
Graphics cards and motherboards are two items I won't buy used unless I know the person I'm buying them from well enough that they'd be welcome at my house for dinner during the holidays.

Other stuff, CPUs, memory, power supplies, cases and even to some extent other add in expansion cards like network adapters, I'm not totally against buying used if I can be pretty sure the seller is reputable. But motherboards and graphics cards, that's a big "nope" for me, because they are too commonly found to have problems which is why they are selling them in the first place. Those two components are very high risk when buying used because they are items most people don't sell by themselves unless there is some problem with them. Not always to be sure, but often enough to make it pretty risky.

Roger that. I took a risk on this one. If I try for GPU/Mobo I make sure it is super cheap. I live near tech hubs in Seattle and sometimes well paid engineers shower the plebs with spare hardware for cheap :p