[SOLVED] Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU and if so what should I upgrade to?

Jul 21, 2020
I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), Z97M Gaming motherboard, GTX 1070ti, and 16gb of memory. When I was trying to run RDR2 on my pc I noticed that my gpu usage was about 20-25% and my cpu usage was at 90-100% usage. I was wondering if it was a cpu bottleneck or something else wrong with my pc.

Solution
I would said that for RDR2, your CPU is probably holding back your GPU. How much it will depend on the resolution and details settings you set.

RDR2 could use more cores and threads without a doubt. Thats why you see your CPU pegged at +90% all the time, while your GPU is just waiting (20~25% usage) for the CPU to finish the work.
I would said that for RDR2, your CPU is probably holding back your GPU. How much it will depend on the resolution and details settings you set.

RDR2 could use more cores and threads without a doubt. Thats why you see your CPU pegged at +90% all the time, while your GPU is just waiting (20~25% usage) for the CPU to finish the work.

Solution
Jul 21, 2020

At first i though it was just RDRs graphics making my fps low but i started to believe that it was my cpu holding me back. Thanks for reaffirming my suspicion. Im checking for a new cpu right now.

Reactions: RodroX