Question Is my CPU bottlenecking my PC's performance?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 10, 2020
I play Fortnite, and I really want a consistent 240 frames. I just upgraded my GPU to a model that people online said would deliver 240, however, I can't seem to get 160 consistently even with a ton of tweaks. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk AM4 ATX

GPU: Radeon VII

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core

RAM: TEAM T-Force DARK 16GM (2x8GB) (it's DDR4)

Power: Corsair CX650M (a little low on wattage for this build but still sufficient)

HDD: Seagare Barracuda 2TB

Any thoughts? I have game settings on all low and when I play CPU usage is at about 60% and GPU is at about 50%, so there's no clear sign to me that anything's bottlenecking anything else. Also often I see disk spiked to 100% in the performance monitor when I play.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 10, 2020
That's alot of GPU for 1080p must be lots of idle vram

I got a big upgrade in the GPU department because I have my GPU encoding everything on OBS and I stream :/ But now the CPU isn’t providing enough frames. I’m confused as to why the CPU is at 60% usage though if it’s the bottleneck.

So if lowering detail levels doesn't drastically change fps, then you are cpu limited and the gpu is plenty strong enough to deliver. Some ppl incorrectly refer to that as a cpu bottleneck, it isn't at all, the cpu can only deliver so many frames in 1 second, and you have a gpu capable of more. For that particular game.
It's very correct,it's basically 100% the definition of bottleneck.
The bottleneck has lowest throughput of all parts of the transaction path.
If that's the CPU then the CPU is the bottleneck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(software)
"In software engineering, a bottleneck occurs when the capacity of an application or a computer system is limited by a single component, like the neck of a bottle slowing down the overall water flow. The bottleneck has lowest throughput of all parts of the transaction path. "

I got a big upgrade in the GPU department because I have my GPU encoding everything on OBS and I stream :/ But now the CPU isn’t providing enough frames. I’m confused as to why the CPU is at 60% usage though if it’s the bottleneck.
Windows task manager as well as MSI and many other tools only show you an AVERAGE usage over some amount of time.
You need a special tool that will show you REAL TIME usage of each thread of a game your CPU is running.
You can see here while windows says it's using 56% of both cores in reality it uses 100% of one core and the rest on the other core but the average comes out to be 56% .
If you have a CPU with 16 logical cores (8c/16t) then a single thread can only go up to 100/16=6.25% usage so if you get around 6% usage on at least one thread you know that your CPU is hitting its limit.
6uO0lZM.jpg