[SOLVED] Is my CPU flawed?

May 22, 2020
I just installed a new CPU, Motherboard, and RAM into my PC yesterday, and the CPU is performing very badly. It's an i7 9700k. Games are running poorly and I'm getting bad benchmarks on it, but the whole rest of the PC is running perfectly. Haven't yet reinstalled my OS, could that be the cause? EDIT: Reinstalled OS, CPU still running like crap. Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

Remember to always do a clean reinstallation of the OS when changing motherboard. Drivers and chipsets from your previous motherboard likely won't be compatible with your new one, causing a lot of issues.

Only plug in the target drive (if you have multiple drives) to the motherboard with a SATA cable, leave the rest unplugged from the motherboard (you can mount them and give them PSU power, but no SATA connection until you are done installing windows on your target drive).

This is to prevent Windows installing partitions to your other drives and screwing everything up.

May 22, 2020
I've already basically confirmed that the CPU is just defective. I did drivers, OS reinstall, upped the frequency in the bios, basically everything listed here, nothing changed a single thing. It's performance is worse than my old, degraded 7th gen i7, so I'll just stick with that until I get the replacement. EDIT: I suppose what I want to know here is that, is this possible? Can a defective CPU's only problem be that it's weak, without crashing or anything?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020
i7-9700k
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti GPU
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200mhz
WD Black 4tb<------ This one has his games and anything big
Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb <--- this one has the boot drives and regular programs
Corsair RM850x ATX Modular Power Supply

I helped him with this build, he has been struggling with this and stressed out so I am stepping in to take over for him. He had bought everything except the 1080 a week ago so its all fresh out of the box. I had suggested he benchmark his PC due to performance issues and he got very poor results which is to be expected with his performance. His current i7-4790k is out performing his i7-9700k which neither of them or OC.

May 22, 2020
i7-9700k
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti GPU
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200mhz
WD Black 4tb<------ This one has his games and anything big
Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb <--- this one has the boot drives and regular programs
Corsair RM850x ATX Modular Power Supply

I helped him with this build, he has been struggling with this and stressed out so I am stepping in to take over for him. He had bought everything except the 1080 a week ago so its all fresh out of the box. I had suggested he benchmark his PC due to performance issues and he got very poor results which is to be expected with his performance. His current i7-4790k is out performing his i7-9700k which neither of them or OC.
This me boi, me not so good at this stuff, this lad is.