Question Is my CPU fried?

Dec 7, 2022
Hello, I am new here so if I posted this in the wrong spot, my bad.

I built my PC about a year and a half ago and forgot to the take plastic off of the CPU cooler heat pipes that touch the CPU. Rookie mistake, I know. The CPU was hitting 100 Celsius almost daily and I thought I needed a new cooler, or maybe it was a software issue. The PC was blue screening/freezing daily. I ran it like that for about 3 months closely monitoring temps daily, and trying to make sure not to let it get past 80 celsius. I eventually ordered an AIO and solved the blue screening problem, because I found the little plastic piece that was left on the old cooler and wanted to slap myself for not pulling it apart earlier. I have a feeling that this CPU is fried because now my PC freezes up often and boots slower than ever. It takes a solid 15 mins to boot up and constantly freezes while playing games. Even when saving a note in notepad, it freezes and says "not responding." When I play a game or do anything processor heavy, I hear a loud squealing noise, and when the game finally freezes, the squealing noise stops. Any idea what the problem could be, if it isn't the CPU. I think it's definitely a hardware issue.

My specs
win10
i5 11400
msi 1650 super
seasonic gold 650w psu
16gb ram
tuf gaming b560m MOBO
2 NVME drives

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I hear a loud squealing noise

Open up the PC case, put your ear to it and make sure you get from where the "noise" comes from.
But if i have to guess, i'd say it's AIO pump.

Btw, which AIO you have?

I have a feeling that this CPU is fried

Could be, since you toasted it well for 3 months and CPU isn't anymore "raw" but instead "well done/charred".

Rookie mistake

These life lessons are the best, since it will hit you hard into most painful spot - your wallet. On the flip side, these are also the best teacher.

Reactions: stealthyyy
Dec 7, 2022
Open up the PC case, put your ear to it and make sure you get from where the "noise" comes from.
But if i have to guess, i'd say it's AIO pump.

Btw, which AIO you have?

Could be, since you toasted it well for 3 months and CPU isn't anymore "raw" but instead "well done/charred".

These life lessons are the best, since it will hit you hard into most painful spot - your wallet. On the flip side, these are also the best teacher.
You're a funny guy. I like you:tearsofjoy:

Dec 7, 2022
make sure the AIO pump is running near 100% all the time, let the radiator fan speed vary with CPU temp.
maybe you have the pump connected to the CPU header so it's not adjusting quickly enough to CPU temp changes?
Just double checked that, I've got everything hooked up correctly and Cpu fan is running 100%.