SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Recently bought strix 2080 ti but I find that performance isnt much better than my old 980ti. Benchmark score seems very low and in FFXIV in city hubs I'm getting 45 fps which is completely unacceptable when I'm at 1080p @144hz boarderless windows. But I feel like it might not be a problem with my GPU and more of a problem with my CPU and ram that might be holding me back.
Any suggestions would behelpful, I know my bios had an update earlier in the month, not sure if I should update that to help.

Strix x370-f
Ryzen 1700x @3.7mhz
16gb vengeance 2133
Corsair rm850x
Strix 2080 ti

Solution
CPU Usage < GPU usage is what you want. If it was the other way around then you'd want to consider getting a better CPU or even a monitor upgrade to increase the GPU usage.

WildCard999

Titan
The issue is your memory, 2133 is too slow for AMD Ryzen. The difference between 2133 & 3200 could be as high as 25 FPS (Not sure about the performance impact on FFXIV).

That being said the CPU could be a performance issue at 1080P and with a system like that I'd probably go to 1440P or 3440x1440P. Monitor the usage of the CPU & GPU with HWmonitor.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Alright ill purchase some 3200 ram and see what happens. I've got a LG 34GK950F coming in tomorrow so I'll be at 1440p. I've heard that ryzen is "ram dependent" I just dont know if I should just say screw it and get a x570 and 3700x. I'd rather not since I just dropped around 2k on the gpu/monitor.

WildCard999

Titan
Alright ill purchase some 3200 ram and see what happens. I've got a LG 34GK950F coming in tomorrow so I'll be at 1440p. I've heard that ryzen is "ram dependent" I just dont know if I should just say screw it and get a x570 and 3700x. I'd rather not since I just dropped around 2k on the gpu/monitor.
Make sure it's a two stick kit, then go into the BIOS and enable DOCP. It should be in the performance tab and that will run it at the correct speed, voltage, timings. If it fails to boot then one issue is that it may not be in the correct slots, A2/B2.

Nice monitor.

Reactions: SlamBeast
mmos are different from your overal graphic intensive AAA game, it has to deal with a lot of out and incoming traffic, its not just about the GPU, when theres a lot of players around, no matter the system, you'll get a decrease in FPS, so in a way, yes your cpu play a big role there despite this not being a simple case of "bottleneck", and so does ram, and so does the GPU when theres a lot of graphics and explosions coming from every other player, you might say that in those games the entire system is a bottleneck, and frankly theres no system that can handle them if every single player decided to join in the same area .

reminds me of my days of playing aion online, a 10 years old game now that still makes the frames go all the way to hell when theres a lot of players together or in sieges, where 100+ ppl fight around, so much so that theres a in built option to completely toggle all the allies from sight or else you'd see yourself at 10 fps.

right now i'd say, test on another intensive game, idk, witcher 3, ac odyssey, shadows of tomb raider, stuff like that and compare the frames you get with other 2080ti, if its still too bad, clean up all drivers and reinstall fresh.

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Make sure it's a two stick kit, then go into the BIOS and enable DOCP. It should be in the performance tab and that will run it at the correct speed, voltage, timings. If it fails to boot then one issue is that it may not be in the correct slots, A2/B2.

Nice monitor.
Actually I just noticed in my bios that it sees my 16gb of ram but was running at 1600mhz not 2133. So I manually put it to 2133. Things seem stable except now YouTube videos are choppy. Tbh I have no clue wtf I'm doing when it comes to memeory. I'm not home now so I cant look for the DOCP setting but I'm still going to purchase new ram.

WildCard999

Titan
Actually I just noticed in my bios that it sees my 16gb of ram but was running at 1600mhz not 2133. So I manually put it to 2133. Things seem stable except now YouTube videos are choppy. Tbh I have no clue wtf I'm doing when it comes to memeory. I'm not home now so I cant look for the DOCP setting but I'm still going to purchase new ram.
Weird that it wasn't running at 2133... When you changed the speed did you change the voltage or timings? I'd go back into the BIOS and enable AXMP, this should be more stable then just changing the speed itself and hopefully corrects the video choppiness.

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
What's your CPU and GPU loads in game?
I tried a more GPU intensive game Rise of the Tomb Raider and GPU was almost maxed out most of the time at 96%. CPU was 45ish and would spike up to 60% every now and then. Graphics maxed out the pc shut down about 15 minutes in. Wasnt a heat issue I think it was my overclock settings as I dialed them in only using heavens benchmark. Game seem stable maxed out with default GPU settings but usage is almost maxed out at all times during even the menu screen in that game.