[SOLVED] Is my Cpu outdated?

Feb 7, 2019
I have an I7-4790K AND A 1080TI.
My friend has a i7-8500k and normal 1080.

We're both in the division 2 beta looking at the same spots and he gets 120 fps where I get 90~... is my CPU really that outdated against his?

Before I buy a new CPU I am asking if the CPU is indeed "the problem" because I am not very tech savvy.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Overclock yours, the 8700k has extra physical cores and threads, plus its newer and faster, it could justify the difference but theres something bothering me there thats the fact its a 1080 x 1080ti, are you sure both of you are playing in the exact same settings? theres other things into the play to consider, such as ram speed, dual channels, GPU overclocks, etc. 4790k is obsolete, yes, but still very capable. Also when comparing things above or around the 100fps line, the gap is shown as if it was too big, but in reality it isnt, the real perception between 90 and 140fps is minimal if not null, but between say, 20-60 fps is abysmal

the problem lies @ under 60 fps, yet, I believe something is not quite right there,

WildCard999

Titan
There's no such thing as the i7-8500K, it's probably either the i5-8500 or i5-8600K. That being said the extra cores on the newer i5's could provide a bit more performance but being a Division player I could tell you that the "difference" in FPS in that game really isn't a issue. I've played it (Division) at 144 FPS and 100 FPS and the difference wasn't even noticeable as it's not like a FPS like CSGO or BFV.

Overclocking your CPU as long as you have decent cooling and a good Z87/Z97 motherboard could help increase your FPS a bit.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Edit: So yea, the 8700K is much better which is why your seeing that 30 FPS difference, open world games such as the Division (2) are very CPU heavy.

Feb 7, 2019

Ah sorry. My bud said 8500 and I just went with it. Should have checked!

Do you know of any ways for me to check if that is indeed it? 30 fps difference is alot!

WildCard999

Titan

Depends on how you look at it, if your comparing 30 FPS to 60 FPS then yes it's huge however I don't think going from 90 to 120 is worth it for a game such as the Division 2, especially with it being in Beta as there will be performance fixes later on.

Overclock yours, the 8700k has extra physical cores and threads, plus its newer and faster, it could justify the difference but theres something bothering me there thats the fact its a 1080 x 1080ti, are you sure both of you are playing in the exact same settings? theres other things into the play to consider, such as ram speed, dual channels, GPU overclocks, etc. 4790k is obsolete, yes, but still very capable. Also when comparing things above or around the 100fps line, the gap is shown as if it was too big, but in reality it isnt, the real perception between 90 and 140fps is minimal if not null, but between say, 20-60 fps is abysmal

the problem lies @ under 60 fps, yet, I believe something is not quite right there,

Solution