[SOLVED] Is my cpu overheating?

Jun 27, 2020
When i play some more demanding games like assassins creed unity or newer titles my screen just goes black and says "no signal" but my pc is still running. I have been looking into it and a lot of people say that my cpu is overheating here are my pcs specs:

cpu-amd athlon x4 860k
gpu-radeon rx 560
mb-f2a88xm-ds2p
2 4GB sticks

and i have been looking to upgrade my cpu to i3-9100f and get a new mobo if necessary but i would still like to know what the problem is with my pc.
(if i need to upgrade i would like too see some of your recommendations for a new mobo) (preferably in between 50-75$ DDR4)

Solution
Video cards have 2 areas that create most of the heat. The graphics processor (gpu) and the surrounding vram/VRM's.
There's only one kicker, there's no thermal signals from the vram/VRM's. They have no circuitry for it. Only the gpu does.

So when the card blackscreens, it's entirely possible it's overheating, the vram and VRM's, even if the gpu says it's under the limit. Because that limit does not apply.

PowerLogic Magnum Pro 375x 750w psu. 12v1 27A, 12v2 27A. Realistically that's far closer to a 450w (peak, maybe 300w sustained) psu that cheats by adding in the wattage from other rails (3.3v/5v+ combined). It's nowhere near 750w, and thats supported by the fact it only comes with a single 6pin pcie. It's a total fire-hazard / piece...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, is it overheating? Nothing here to indicate that.

You need to measure the temperature with a software tool like Hardware Monitor, HWInfo64, or Coretemp, or what have you.

Have you confirmed the CPU cooler is functional and properly applied?

When i play some more demanding games like assassins creed unity or newer titles my screen just goes black and says "no signal" but my pc is still running. I have been looking into it and a lot of people say that my cpu is overheating here are my pcs specs:

cpu-amd athlon x4 860k
gpu-radeon rx 560
mb-f2a88xm-ds2p
2 4GB sticks

and i have been looking to upgrade my cpu to i3-9100f and get a new mobo if necessary but i would still like to know what the problem is with my pc.
(if i need to upgrade i would like too see some of your recommendations for a new mobo) (preferably in between 50-75$ DDR4)
Sounds more like an issue with either your power supply or your graphics card.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Video cards have 2 areas that create most of the heat. The graphics processor (gpu) and the surrounding vram/VRM's.
There's only one kicker, there's no thermal signals from the vram/VRM's. They have no circuitry for it. Only the gpu does.

So when the card blackscreens, it's entirely possible it's overheating, the vram and VRM's, even if the gpu says it's under the limit. Because that limit does not apply.

PowerLogic Magnum Pro 375x 750w psu. 12v1 27A, 12v2 27A. Realistically that's far closer to a 450w (peak, maybe 300w sustained) psu that cheats by adding in the wattage from other rails (3.3v/5v+ combined). It's nowhere near 750w, and thats supported by the fact it only comes with a single 6pin pcie. It's a total fire-hazard / piece of junk sold to the unwary, but they up the price, figures, and pure BS by adding a blue led fan and calling it a gaming psu. I'm very surprised it's not blown up/shorted out yet even with an Rx560.

You'll not be able to determine exactly what the issue is until that psu is replaced. There's No guarantee whatsoever that you have anything resembling enough, clean power to run the pc in a stable manner while gaming.

Last edited:
Solution

Sukhoi37

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
I had a similar problem, except my PC would reset whenever GPU was under heavy load, turns out i needed a new PSU.

However, based on your PC still running when you get a blackscreen, this could point to the GPU. What are the GPU temps when you get blackscreen? Double check your drivers are up to date, pull the GPU out and give it a full visual inspection for anything unusual or large amounts of dust.

Jun 27, 2020

PowerLogic Magnum Pro 375x 750w psu. 12v1 27A, 12v2 27A. Realistically that's far closer to a 450w (peak, maybe 300w sustained) psu that cheats by adding in the wattage from other rails (3.3v/5v+ combined). It's nowhere near 750w, and thats supported by the fact it only comes with a single 6pin pcie. It's a total fire-hazard / piece of junk sold to the unwary, but they up the price, figures, and pure BS by adding a blue led fan and calling it a gaming psu. I'm very surprised it's not blown up/shorted out yet even with an Rx560.

You'll not be able to determine exactly what the issue is until that psu is replaced. There's No guarantee whatsoever that you have anything resembling enough, clean power to run the pc in a stable manner while gaming.
so basically i should just look for a new psu? if thats the case can you reccomend one

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
If you want a reliable psu go look at amazon for those 500w psus from reputable brands such as evga, if you want to look locally then search for a good oem psu, dont cheap out on oem psu because they are crap when you buy them cheap but even those are still better than a cheap chinese psu which will blow up no matter what, i bought a 3$ 500w psu and it is crap because of unpredictable voltage when ocing but hey atleast i got 5.656ghz out of a p4 631 using this 3$ psu so no even the crappiest of oem psus will still beat a chinese psu in terms of not exploding

Jun 27, 2020
If you want a reliable psu go look at amazon for those 500w psus from reputable brands such as evga, if you want to look locally then search for a good oem psu, dont cheap out on oem psu because they are crap when you buy them cheap but even those are still better than a cheap chinese psu which will blow up no matter what, i bought a 3$ 500w psu and it is crap because of unpredictable voltage when ocing but hey atleast i got 5.656ghz out of a p4 631 using this 3$ psu so no even the crappiest of oem psus will still beat a chinese psu in terms of not exploding
so which power supply should i buy?

TRENDING THREADS