is my desktop safe without the least bit of backup?

free68

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
hi. I thought after I bought this new computer (3 months old now and I'm on it) that I didn't need to do anything more than use the "system restore" option in windows 10 and that id be all set for life. I got some notes here that would make things more secure I'm sure. here they are ......

1. Put the wireless router somewhere where the sygnal cant broadcast , like the closet , incase any neighbors or snoopers see it and try to get on it.
2. Make sure the securety says “wpa”.
3. Use a good antivirus program. This will catch some stuff from some of your intruders and then warn you.
4. Use a good firewall to stop the intruders the little bit it can.
5. Be sure to make a very strong username and password. (on mine I made sure dad bought me a modem and wireles router that allowed me to do 2 things: one is that I can hit the reset button on both and get some new info. However resetting the modem makes me have to run the cd again. Which is nothing if its quite an emergency. And the second is that I can insert my router’s cd and change the username and password to anything. And also I have a guest acces feature that just was builtin so I do use that. Also I can hit the router’s reset button and it will give me its own username and pasword filled right in.
6. And of course, they say “when its not in use , turn it all off”. Who does that today? Anybody?
7. For wireless devices “put the router in the center of every device if possible.”.
8. Also, lower its wireless signal strength if possible to not have it reaching outside the windows of the house. That’s more secure that way too.

........and my question is "if I don't download anything illegal or whatever and watch what I do download that its from a trusted site, will I be alright?". I didn't want to buy a backup removeable hard drive or usb thumbdrive or cd/dvd drive and discs. am I ok anyway? this is a refurb'd desktop.

you should be just fine. at the moment one of my networks has no firewall broadcasts well out of my house and half the computers on it have no antivirus. its been running good for years. you get most virus' from actions you do like clicking on something you shouldn't have. or downloading every program without a second thought.

If you value anything on the pc, you are not safe without an external backup.

You are not protected from user errors, like deleting the wrong files, fire, theft, damage from power surges... etc.

Legitimate web sites depend on advertisers for revenue. Sometimes malware is included in some of the ads you see, despite vigilance on the part of webs.

Much malware comes in through social engineering, and we are all somewhat susceptible.

For whatever files you value, have some external backup.

what geofelt said X2

especially about netting a malware from a trusted website - i got one from CNET - used to be a trustworthy site, not anymore.

another benefit to a backup drive, where you clone your OS drive on a set scedule (not a backup but a clone) is that in the event of malware, trojan, virus etc, you can just clone the backup drive back to the OS drive and go back to using the computer. I've spent 4-5 hours tracking down kernels that malware left embedded in my system's registry