Is my display in 32 bit or 64 bit?

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hey,

I recently built a pc for gaming, and loaded windows 7 64bit home premium onto it. i have a 6800 series graphics card from amd, and its pretty old, actually used, got it from a friend. it seems to run ok, and after installing old drivers from a disk, got new ones from amds site. when i go to desktop properties in ccc though, it says i have a 32 bit 1080p monitor or whatever, and i have win 64bit. is my computer really utilising the 64bit, or is it running in 32bit?

thanks

Solution

Your mixing things up :) 32bit/64bit only refers to your OS. the 32bit on a monitor, refers to the colour depth, as opposed to the 32/64bit OS. Different things altogether.

Don't; worry your monitor should be using 32 bit as default.

Your mixing things up :) 32bit/64bit only refers to your OS. the 32bit on a monitor, refers to the colour depth, as opposed to the 32/64bit OS. Different things altogether.

Don't; worry your monitor should be using 32 bit as default.

Solution
The truth is, while they use 32bit color depth mode, most monitors are operating at 18 bits, some of the higher end ones operate at 24 bits, and some professional monitors deliver 30 bits of color. They just use 32 bits because of memory management advantages.