Question Is my existing PSU enough for an RTX 3060 Ti ?

Harsh316

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
Hi guys,

I am thinking to get an RTX 3060 Ti and I am wondering if my Coolermaster 550w bronze will be enough for the build ? I will be pairing it with i5-12400f.

Currently i have a Xeon x3470 which has 95 TDP and GTX 770 which, as per Nvidia website, has 200 TDP same as an RTX 3060 Ti.

I am not facing any issue right now so thinking if this PSU is enough for RTX 3060 Ti. I could invest that money in other parts ?

Lutfij

Titan
Coolermaster have a number of units with a 550W sticker slapped onto it's side. Which one do you have and how old is the unit? If the unit is going to be purchased, look into a 650W unit for the sake of headroom.

I am not facing any issue right now so thinking if this psu is enough for RTX 3060 ti. I could invest that money in other parts.
A lot of people cheap out on the PSU and then learn that the heartattack from the PSU caused all their components to seize. The PSU is considered to be the heart of the system, make sure you don't skimp out on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
You could try it.
But, I would plan on a psu replacement.
3000 series cards can have very high transient power spikes that your psu may not be able to handle.
You would get unexpected shut downs and would be chasing the issues.
Look for a quality 650/750/850w unit.
Your processor can in time run a very much stronger graphics card.
Corsair rmx or seasonic focus 650w unit is about $120. But, $10 more gets you 750w, and $30 more gets you 850W.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

I'd totally agree with @Lutfij and @geofelt . You should be going for a strong quality gold rated unit for your rig.
A Corsair RMx/RMi/TXM/RM, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G2/G3, SuperFlower Leadex III. All great PSUs with 7-10 warranties, that will last from build to build.

Often the higher watt versions are only an extra 10-20£$€ extra. So it's often worth it get one of those, to allow for more power hungry components down the line.

Guys are these good psu ? If not please share link of good one.

Gigabyte GP-P850GM (80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, Smart Fan, Smart Power Protection, Power Supply) https://amzn.eu/d/hOw17iM

Deepcool PM850D, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply/PSU for Gaming PC - R-PM850D-FA0B-UK https://amzn.eu/d/58cLZlA

A Corsair RMx/RMi/TXM/RM, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G2/G3, SuperFlower Leadex III. All great PSUs with 7-10 warranties, that will last from build to build.
I've already given you a few options. The Corsair RMX are among the best and, not massivwly expensive. A quality PSU.

Keep away from these: Gigabyte GP-P850GM

They explode!: Exploding Power Supplies: Gigabyte & Newegg Dumping Unsellable Product - YouTube