[SOLVED] is my fps good for my specs? (low fps gta 5)

Nov 25, 2020
I recently built a gaming pc with an i7 9700k RTX 2060 SC ultra 2x8g 3200mhz ram,
but I struggle to get more than 105+ fps on ANY video settings on GTA V (low setting has same fps as ultra),

i am thinking its the game because I can run high frames on any other game (r6 siege 250+ fps on ultra)(fortnight 200-400+ fps on low)(COD MW 160+ fps ultra with ray tracing.)

fresh install of windows and all drivers are up to date.

CPU temp = 29c-33c idle/53c-65c underload.
GPU temp = 40c-50c idle/63c-71c
underload.

XMP is on

*NO OVERCLOCKING DONE YET

can i get some tips on how to get higher frames since i want to use my 144hz monitor to its full potential.

Solution
the problem is the same for the both of us we cant break 100 fps on any settings but since my pc is worse than his i get the same fps on any settings. even on 720p but on story mode im seeing almost double the fps
Well, his is an RTX model GPU too though, and the game as far as I know was never given RTX support. Not all games work well on RTX GPUs.
What resolution are you playing at? According to TechPowerUp's 2060 Founders Edition review, you should get about 149 FPS ave with Very High settings at 1080p (about 110 FPS at 1440p). DO NOTE however that is with MSAA off, which can seriously rob performance. As well, the extra settings beyond the normal graphics settings can start affecting performance if set too high.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-founders-edition/17.html

Nvidia made a GeForce graphics settings guide that details well what each setting looks like and it's impact on performance.

Last edited:
Now I think I know why you said XMP is on. I searched for bad performance on GTA V, and saw one video where a guy claimed using XMP boosted GPU usage in GTA V, but I think most avid, experienced PC gamers know what XMP is and how to enable it.

Actually my exact search parameters were "does GTA V have poor performance on RTX GPUs, and that was revealing. It seems it's a game that doesn't play well with RTX GPUs. As far as I know though, the only games you can turn off RTX features with are ones that actually support it, and I'm pretty sure GTA V doesn't.

If it HAS been patched to support RT though, try turning those features off.

i tried with dx10 also no fps difference
Yeah, I wouldn't think that would be the problem, but RT could. Even if the game hasn't been patched for RT support though, just trying different drivers can help. For instance I'm still on 456.71, because I was playing RDR2 when the driver after that came out, which had noticeably worse performance in that game. I always read reviews on GPU drivers before I install them.

That said, are you SURE you don't have any extra features enabled that you didn't on your previous hardware? It's real tempting after a hardware upgrade to push the limits of the settings, but it can sometimes cause problems.

Nov 25, 2020
do i need to remove drivers somehow and test different gpu drivers?

also my game always starts in windowed fullscreen even though i appy fullscreen after
i simply just click alt+enter

Nov 25, 2020
the problem is the same for the both of us we cant break 100 fps on any settings but since my pc is worse than his i get the same fps on any settings. even on 720p but on story mode im seeing almost double the fps

Well, his is an RTX model GPU too though, and the game as far as I know was never given RTX support. Not all games work well on RTX GPUs.

Solution