Bellaflica

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2014
A few days ago my computer randomly froze and I had to turn it off. When I turned it back on it was stuck at 800x600 resolution, lagging, and I couldn't start any game without major issues/lag. My computer was unable to detect my monitor, and in device manager it showed a Code 43 error under my Display adapter. Occasionally it starts up at 1024 x 768 resolution instead, and I am able to set it to the native 1440p of my monitor, but the other problems persist. At one point faded blue lines were showing on my computer background, but that only happened once.

My PC is roughly 6.5 years old and besides the occasional freezing upon logging into Windows on my original 1080p monitor, and the rare "Displayport no signal" issue, which resolves after plugging/unplugging repeatedly, I've had very few problems. The GPU lights have never turned on since I first installed it (perhaps was a bad sign), but even now the fans still run.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the drivers. I tried using a different cord. I tried plugging it into a different PCI slot, nothing has worked. Just now I took out the GPU and am currently running on the integrated graphics of my CPU and it works just fine. I game a lot but nothing too intensive, no overclocking, case isn't super hot or anything, so I'm surprised the card apparently just died on me after almost 7 years. Is this normal? Is there anything else I can try to fix it? I've also been trying to get into my BIOS to restore default settings but for some reason it hasn't been starting up (it was before, even after GPU stopped working).

Thanks for your time.

Specs:

i7 4770k
Maximus VI Hero Mobo
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
500GB Samsung EVO SSD
Corsair AX760 PSU
Corsair 450D Chassis
Windows 7 Home Premium (Yes, never upgraded..)

Sep 23, 2020
Well, GTX 780 Ti is quite an old GPU. I guess your GPU has come to an end? Did it overheat and is it using an incompatible driver or outdated driver?
  1. Check your PSU pcie cables whether they are damaged.
  2. Without your GPU, go to BIOS and reset your BIOS settings. After that, put back your GPU and try if it boots.
  3. Update your BIOS.
Or maybe it's your DVI cable?

Last edited:

Bellaflica

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2014
Well, GTX 780 Ti is quite an old GPU. I guess your GPU has come to an end? Did it overheat and is it using an incompatible driver or outdated driver?
  1. Check your PSU pcie cables whether they are damaged.
  2. Without your GPU, go to BIOS and reset your BIOS settings. After that, put back your GPU and try if it boots.
  3. Update your BIOS.
Or maybe it's your DVI cable?
It didn't overheat as far as I know. I updated the driver and tried the default one as well, didn't change a thing. The pcie cables look fine to me. I tried both Displayport and HDMI and neither worked. I will try to reset/update BIOS but if that fails I guess I'm giving up on it.